Thread: Colt fine adjustment problem

Colt fine adjustment problem

Hello,

Some time ago, I bunged up my Colt palm router so that the fine adjustment was stripped (I hope that I'm wrong here).

When trying to make fine adjustments w the router and housing/base aligned properly, the threads don't engage.

the male/router part:

Colt Male Thread.jpg

The female/housing part:

(Do these threads looked stripped to you?)

Colt Housing Thread.JPG

Have tried numerous times to tighten the housing @ the indicated "Quick Clamp System Lever", thinking that the outside/base part was not tight enough.

Colt.jpg

Even when tightening so much that it is difficult to rotate the router in/out of position, the fine adjustment system does not work.

Anyone encountered this before, and have a relatively easy fix?

It seems to me like the metal on the router itself is softer than that of the bolt so that the threads on the router (instead of the easily replaceable bolt) are mangled.....which is a more difficult fix, right?

What to do?

Thanks guys, always appreciate your help.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Blog Entries

My Bosch Colt was very finicky from the start. Although this won't solve your adjustment problem, I found that putting the Colt in the plunge base solved all of my fine adjust frustrations. It's a great little router but that original base is just one bad design. The plunge base also allows dust collection or the Bosch guide bushing adapter to be used which makes it more versatile although a little larger in use.

IMG_2007e (2).jpg

IMG_2004.jpg
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 12-16-2018 at 3:45 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Ragan View Post
    The female/housing part:

(Do these threads looked stripped to you?)

Colt Housing Thread.JPG
    Yes they look stripped. Aluminum threads are not good for multiple thread movements, they wear quickly. Lubrication does help.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I had this same problem it turned out I did not have the base and router lined up. you just need to twist it.

unlocked the screw is not engaged
    20181216_174708.jpg
    locked the screw is engaged to make adjustments
    20181216_174700.jpg
    20181216_174644.jpg
    unlocked
    20181216_174654.jpg
    use the fine adjustment with the tension lever open then lock it down when you are dun making your adjustment.

edit:
    I just reread your post looks like I mist the part about it being aligned right.
    Try taking the pressure off some more my fine adjustment works better with less pressure.
    Last edited by justin sherriff; 12-16-2018 at 7:05 PM. Reason: reread post