Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: fitting for catching dust from a lathe

Quote Originally Posted by Dean S Walker View Post
    John did I understand it correct. Does the black hose hold its form like a flex arm on a moffet work light?
    Yes, more or less, mostly more. It is pleated plastic instead of spiral with a spring wire inside. When you bend it some of the pleats come together on one side forming a radius. It's not as strong and freestanding as a Moffatt lamp but it doesn't take much to hold it in place.

Besides the one at the lathe, I also have one I position at the bandsaw. I fastened a strong magnet to the lip of that one so I can either park it out of the way on the side of the table or position it as needed on the top of the table to catch sawdust that would otherwise skid across the table during "skimming" cuts to clean up a turning blank.

That hose is visible in this picture in its parked position.
    ambrosia_maple_IMG_20171202_141342_010.jpg

Probably cheaper somewhere else but this has a good photo. https://www.woodcraft.com/products/d...-put-4-od-x-36

JKJ

Well, a straight hose does work, a big gulp type hood works better, and this is a lot better, but I didn't make it so I could turn with it in place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZsVc7qVx7A

More than anything, the more enclosed the piece is, the better chance you have of catching all the dust at the source. In my new shop, with my Robust Liberty lathe (16 inch), it is up against the wall. I am going to make a full length hood that stays in place and is screwed to the wall, and will have partitions so I can open the hood wider or make it narrower for bowls. Plastic sheet stock is available in 4 tn 8 foot sheets, and maybe bigger... I did see one turner who used a big bowl that he had turned through the bottom and used that for his hood. Not sure what I am going to do with my big lathe as it is out off the wall several feet...

robo hippy

Which ever port you choose, I found it helpful to attach a piece of 1/2" square plastic covered wire mesh to the front to prevent the inevitable sanding disc/paper/tool/glasses from being sucked into the DC. The mesh lets the dust and fine chips through but keeps the big stuff out.

Dean... I'm not sure what the volume rating of my collector is. I made it out of the main blower from a machine I used to work on before I retired. I bought the collection bag at Busy Bee and put it together. Works great for sanding ( I don't use it for chips since I can easily vacuum them up). Just wanted something to keep the air clean when I'm sanding... Don't know if these pics will help you or not...

CAM00687.jpg CAM00686.jpg

I installed a Super Dust Deputy under my 3/4" hp mobile dc. I was able to find fittings at HD. My lathe has brackets on the back that allowed me to hang a Big Gulp and slide it back and forth as necessary.
    It's good for catching sanding dust - not catching chips. I vent mine outside (mounted a lexan sheet and port outside my egress window)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I only use a dust hood typically for sanding as I gave up trying to collect shavings as the picture below shows. I believe this collector hood came from Woodcraft many years ago. It is mounted to the lathe with a set of articulated arms and was enlarged to 6" port to match a newer cyclone. To make it effective, it really needs more enclosure as it was pretty marginal in the configuration as shown.

IMGP3240.jpg

IMGP3032.jpg
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 12-17-2018 at 12:18 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    I only use a dust hood typically for sanding as I gave up trying to collect shavings as the picture below shows.
    I used to only use mine for sanding until one day I realized Pentz was right - even cutting with a sharp edge tool releases fine dust into the air. I had a bright light shining downwards and had temporarily put a dark background behind the work to get a photo. When I took a few cuts with a sharp spindle gouge I was surprised at how much fine dust was floating around in the light. Repeating with the DC running pulled a lot of the fines from behind and even in front of the piece. (This is with the 5hp cyclone and dry wood - might be different with wet wood and/or wimpy DC. I use it all the time now.

I like your swing arm. I'd like to make one similar, articulated differently since my lathes are close to the walls.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I used to only use mine for sanding until one day I realized Pentz was right - even cutting with a sharp edge tool releases fine dust into the air. I had a bright light shining downwards and had temporarily put a dark background behind the work to get a photo. When I took a few cuts with a sharp spindle gouge I was surprised at how much fine dust was floating around in the light. Repeating with the DC running pulled a lot of the fines from behind and even in front of the piece. (This is with the 5hp cyclone and dry wood - might be different with wet wood and/or wimpy DC. I use it all the time now.

I like your swing arm. I'd like to make one similar, articulated differently since my lathes are close to the walls.

JKJ
    After reading Pentz a number of years ago, I installed a 3HP Oneida cyclone and also purchased a Trend Air Shield which I use when ever I am turning. Due to downsizing, I no longer have the space for the cyclone and now use HEPA vacs and an overhead air filter along with my Trend. I mainly turn dry or semi-dry wood and definitely notice the fine dust in the air even with those huge piles of shavings on the floor.
    Dick Mahany.

I've had good luck with the clear plastic magnetic dust hood mounted to a french cleat. My dust collector is the 2HP Jet cyclone unit and I also run it while turning in order to catch the fines with chip a bonus should it happen.

img_20160925_171000.jpgimg_20160925_171017.jpgimg_20160925_171037.jpgimg_20160925_171045.jpgimg_20160925_171121.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by David M Peters View Post
    I've had good luck with the clear plastic magnetic dust hood mounted to a french cleat. My dust collector is the 2HP Jet cyclone unit and I also run it while turning in order to catch the fines with chip a bonus should it happen.
    Slick idea !
    Dick Mahany.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Calver View Post
    Which ever port you choose, I found it helpful to attach a piece of 1/2" square plastic covered wire mesh to the front to prevent the inevitable sanding disc/paper/tool/glasses from being sucked into the DC. The mesh lets the dust and fine chips through but keeps the big stuff out.
    I've been working out a design of my own for a temp dust hood. Don't know yet if I will mount it on an articulating arm (preferred) or with magnets (could be simpler in design). In any case, a screen is something I hadn't considered, but now that I have officially pirated your idea it will save me much hassle digging valuable what-nots out of my chip collector from day one. Much appreciated!

You should remove the "Y" splitter form the DC when you want to extract from the lathe and put on a 6" pipe to the lathe and then the shortest amount of 6" flex you can get away with. Make a bell mouth hood for the end of the hose. It potentially can pull almost 3 times as much air as a 4" can. Put the "Y" back on for the 4" work.

https://youtu.be/xjtHCmR-N3M

https://youtu.be/usk3qWv-8Yc

You can make your own bell mouth hood by turning a form from a block of wood that a length of PVC will fit over that flairs to 1/2 the radius of the duct (the radius of a 6" duct is 3" and 1/2 of that is 1 1/2" radius for the bell mouth lip). Turn a second plug to fit in the end for the tailstock to push against. You put the PVC over the form and apply heat to the lip with a heat gun while turning the lathe slowly. When it is warm enough you advance the tailstock, pushing the warm end over the form until the PVC has stretched the right amount and remove the heat.

cell phone clip.jpg

This is the cell phone holder I use, it can be moved easily, but does not move on it's own. As stated above I have a gallon milk jug that I have duct taped as my collector. $4.2 plus tape and one fitting for connector.

Barry, I think that motor cam out of a 9000 product: low in[put volume, high hg lift, like a vacuum motor, but has more of a balance with a little more volume and a little less lift. I do use one of those blowers in a fume hood, and it does ok but not great. I will be using the blower from my August West chimney cleaning days. Not so much lift, but much higher volume.