Thread: Vacuum Pump Recommendation

Vacuum Pump Recommendation

Have Gast 0522 vacuum pump that quit. Motor runs but no vacuum. Veins are gummed.

How can I repair? If I were to purchase a new pump What would you recommend?

You can go to the Gast website and buy a repair kit that includes new vanes. Or Google “Gast repair kit”.
    Amazon also has them.
    To prevent gumming in the future, suggest you install a filter on the intake side. If you have a bleeder valve a filter there is good.
    Last edited by Dwight Rutherford; 12-15-2018 at 1:23 PM.

Ditto Dwight. Should not have to replace the pump. Get a repair kit, refurbish and continue. - John

I put in a Universal gas filter. It is clear, so I plumbed it so that I could see dust build-up. If you have a tractor supply store or something similar they'll carry it. I also found it at a chain called AutoZone. They also probably have them on-line at places like eBay.

When I have my vacuum tubing disconnected from the lathe, I made a plug to go into the tubing so that dust doesn't go into the filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    I put in a Universal gas filter....Tractor Supply...Autozone
    I see them offered on Amazon too, several styles.

Gast does make a flushing solvent for keeping the vanes clean: https://www.grainger.com/product/GAS...-Degrees-3HDP9.

If you can't resurrect your pump, Joe Woodworker sells a couple of reasonably priced units. https://www.veneersupplies.com/categ..._Press__Parts/

I ran a used Gast 0522 for 30 years. When it lost its umph (would pull only 20" H2O) I tried replacing the vanes to no avail. I am guessing the chamber that the vanes run in is worn at the sides. I found another 0522 on Ebay for $100 delivered, and expect it to outlast me.

The oiler on my pump hasn`t worked for years. Have been spraying wd40 into unit. That has finally ruined the vanes. Gast wants about $160 for vanes and new oiler. Would I be better off just buying a 3.5 cfm refrigerant pump on Ebay?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Behling View Post
    The oiler on my pump hasn`t worked for years. Have been spraying wd40 into unit. That has finally ruined the vanes. Gast wants about $160 for vanes and new oiler. Would I be better off just buying a 3.5 cfm refrigerant pump on Ebay?
    How about a remanufactured Thomas 2660 pump like on this page. (the guy has a good reputation)

https://www.frugalvacuumchuck.com/product.html)
    https://www.frugalvacuumchuck.com/pa...cessories.html

A refrigeration pump is known for putting out a slight mist of oil. Some people have figured out how to mitigate this.

I bought a reconditioned Thomas pump from the frugal vacuum chuck guy, Bob, and am very pleased with it.

BTW, I LOVE having a vacuum chuck. I also have a Cole jaw chuck, a homemade set of Cole Jaw extensions, and an 18 inch wooden faceplate but I find the vacuum chuck more fun to set up and use. :-)

I thought that this might be of interest the other day I got a hole in a tractor tire tube. To help get the tube off the rim I took out the valve stem and put my vacuum pump on the stem, it shrunk the tube down making it easier to remove off the rim and when I was ready to buff the area for the patch ( it had partially inflated itself) I put the pump back on it and then placed the core back in, so the tube laid nice and flat. just a fyi ,cause you never know about tomorrow

I bought a JB Eliminator 4 CFM pump. I use it for both my vacuum chuck and stabizing wood for pen blanks. You have to watch the vacuum for the vacuum chuck so the vacuum doesn’t build too high and damage the piece you are turning. You control the vacuum with a bleed valve. It works good for both purposes.