Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB HUB not Working

USB HUB not Working

When I plug the usb hub into my laptop anything I plug into the hub does not work. I've tried several different hubs and none work in the laptop. They all work if I plug into a PC. I only have 2 USB ports on my laptop and I need 3. So if anyone could help me getting a hub that work it would be awesome .
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Sounds as though you need updated drivers on the laptop. If you don't have the disk that came with it, determine the manufacturer, and do a search for drivers for your laptop's OS.

Do both the USB ports work when you plug into them with other devices? What are you plugging into the hub? You might need a powered hub. It's possible there isn't enough power available. I think a port can only handle up to 0.5 amp and that's total load. If you use a powered hub it supplies that to each port. I don't know why it works on your desktop and not your laptop unless it is a power issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Do both the USB ports work when you plug into them with other devices? What are you plugging into the hub? You might need a powered hub. It's possible there isn't enough power available. I think a port can only handle up to 0.5 amp and that's total load. If you use a powered hub it supplies that to each port. I don't know why it works on your desktop and not your laptop unless it is a power issue.
    oesn't matter what I plug into it ti doesn't work. I tried a mouse, a keyboard and a small lite base nothing works off the hub, yet they all work when I plug the hub into the PC desktop.If I plug everything dirrectly into the USB port they work fine just not thry thru the hub.
    D
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

What you are describing seems to be a problem with the USB port(s) on the laptop, not the devices, since you say that anything you plug in doesn't work. That could be something as "simple" as a "driver" in the OS or could indicate failure of the USB components in the computer. If you have a local computer repair place, they can probably help you determine which is the issue if you're not comfortable troubleshooting things yourself...which have to be done physically on the machine. It's hard to diagnose this with just words, unfortunately.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

What are the USB ports on your laptop - USB 2, USB 3 or USB-C? I've used the Amazon Basic USB 3 hub into a USB 3 port and had no problems. As someone else suggested, try a powered hub.

I have had a problem with a hub with USB-3 ports plugged into a USB-C port. Computer didn't see the USB-3 device.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That could be something as "simple" as a "driver" in the OS
    Did I not say it correctly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Petersen View Post
    Sounds as though you need updated drivers on the laptop. If you don't have the disk that came with it, determine the manufacturer, and do a search for drivers for your laptop's OS.

Let's see, my old camera's USB port went bad years ago, 3 computers around here have non-working ports. I have several bad USB cables, one of them a self-powered extension cable that worked great, then one day poof, doesn't work.

One of my kids is a computer geek, he tells me when USB cables and ports go bad, they're done.

So, just get yourself a 4-port USB hub and plug into the good one. Ahh, but which one? I've bought many, most aren't worth the postage, BUT I recently got TWO of these:
    hub1.jpghub2.jpg
    They've been in use for a couple months and unlike many I've bought, they work flawlessly. Short cord, self powered, $8 on Amazon, free one day shipping, highly recommend...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    You might need a powered hub. It's possible there isn't enough power available. I think a port can only handle up to 0.5 amp and that's total load. If you use a powered hub it supplies that to each port. I don't know why it works on your desktop and not your laptop unless it is a power issue.
    What he said. The USB ports on laptops are sometimes grossly underpowered, mostly in an effort to enhance battery life.

I'd try plugging in the hub with just a mouse and see if the LED on the bottom of the mouse lights up. If not, power problem. You might also check the power settings to see if the OS has been told it can power off the port to conserve battery power...you don't want that.

Re driver issues, yeah it can happen, but usually not at the hub level. Look in Device Manager and see if the hub itself shows up when you plug it in.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Petersen View Post
    Did I not say it correctly?
    I was agreeing with you Roy.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    What you are describing seems to be a problem with the USB port(s) on the laptop, not the devices, since you say that anything you plug in doesn't work. That could be something as "simple" as a "driver" in the OS or could indicate failure of the USB components in the computer. If you have a local computer repair place, they can probably help you determine which is the issue if you're not comfortable troubleshooting things yourself...which have to be done physically on the machine. It's hard to diagnose this with just words, unfortunately.
    No If I plug into the laptop they work fine, if I plug the hub into the laptop then plug anything into the hug it does not work
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Kev the ports on the laptop work it when I plug the 4 port hub in that nothing plugged into the hub workd
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    What he said. The USB ports on laptops are sometimes grossly underpowered, mostly in an effort to enhance battery life.

I'd try plugging in the hub with just a mouse and see if the LED on the bottom of the mouse lights up. If not, power problem. You might also check the power settings to see if the OS has been told it can power off the port to conserve battery power...you don't want that.

Re driver issues, yeah it can happen, but usually not at the hub level. Look in Device Manager and see if the hub itself shows up when you plug it in.
    o the mouse light does not come on so I guess a powered hud I must try thanks
    N
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Long shot here but have you tried powering down and rebooting the laptop.
    Sometimes the system loses sight of these devices and regains it on startup. That's about all I can add....

I went into the power options and turned off the power saver and gave it full power, the screen got real bright, I plugged in the mouse to the 4 usb hub and the mouse light came on ,but it would not move the cursor around, I plugged in the dongle for the laser and it lite up but then tried to open laser cut I got a no communication error. I hate to go buy a power hub and find it stilll doesn't work, but guess thats my only option.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander