Thread: Jet shaper question

Jet shaper question

I have a Jet WSS-3-3 shaper that I picked up fairly cheap.It has one 1" spindle an I would like to add a 1/2" and possibly a collet spindle.Does anyone know the size that may fit this unit?Maybe another brand that will interchange because the unit is obsolete. It needed a spindle bearing and now it runs great.It's a 5HP 3 phase unit.I have a small wood boat restoration shop and the shaper comes in handy.
    Last edited by Charles hines; 12-15-2018 at 10:17 AM.

You'd be better served getting 1-1/4" tooling. Changing spindles isn't a quick and easy job on that.

I have some 1-1/4" tooling,the spindle pops right off from the top after loosening the nut and the drawbar,not a huge deal. I just realized I mis-stated the spindle size in the post,it is a 1" spindle.I am using 1-1/4" tooling with reducing bushings.I corrected the spindle shaft size error.

Ah, I was thinking that was similar to a 26 or 27 shaper. Those aren't exactly easy.

EBay. Possibly available NOS somewhere. Otherwise, just have a machinist make whatever you want

Try calling Equipment Sales and Surplus in Auburn, WA. They deal with all things Jet, Powermatic, Wilton and probably more brands of the same parent company. If there are options still available for your machine they will know.

Blog Entries
    Unless you find a second hand jet spindle I think you will need a machinist. It's a unique design as far as I can tell.