Thread: What Finish to Use

What Finish to Use

What finish will minimize the grain on Oak? I'd like to keep the medium color and the look of wood but not show off the bold and distracting grain.

If you dye the wood to the color you want and then finish it with satin clear coat you won't see the grain nearly as much as if you use a pigmented stain with gloss clear coat. You can make the grain almost disappear if you fill it with neutral grain filler and then use a gel stain followed by a satin clear coat. You have options.

John

Thanks John, I don't think I want to stain, the color is fine, so just a neutral grain filler then a topcoat. Easy. Can you recommend a grain filler?

Tom

Behlen's Pore-O-Pac and Old Master's Natural Tone Woodgrain Filler both work well. I can buy the latter at my local Benjamin Moore. The reason I said to use a gel stain over the grain filler was to further diminish the grain. You don't have to change the color; you can use a neutral base, or one with just a little color.

In any case, make some samples with whatever you think you might like to find out if you really do.

John

Two big boxes and Sherwin Williams had never heard of grain filler, just plastic wood!

So I am testing filling with something else with mixed results.

Microspheres in 1 pound shellac, sand, polyurethane varnish, covers some of the darkness in the pores.

Patching plaster in 1 pound cut shellac, sand, polyurethane varnish, covers better but shows a bit more white.

I think the plaster is better.

BTW this is a table top so it needs the poly, which I will scuff to reduce the shine.

I find Old Master products at the local True Value/Ace Hardware stores. They're also the only place that carries Deft Clear Wood Finish locally. Don't know if TV/AH is in MI, but if they are, might be a place to check out.