Thread: Pivot Hinge/Hardware for hidden door disguised as a bookcase

Pivot Hinge/Hardware for hidden door disguised as a bookcase

Searching for pivot hinges/hardware used to construct a hidden door disguised as a bookcase. I've read many reviews and the two common problems that kept being discussed were:

1. Hardware/pivot hinges unable to support the weight of the door/bookcase causing the door to "sag" eventually
    2. Hardware/pivot hinges do not allow the door opening to be concealed very well

I've looked at Murphy Door hardware, Rixson hardware, boat seat swivels, and other hardware/methods all claiming to be the best. One feature that would be a plus would be the ability to "adjust the door/hinge" in the event that it does sag in the future.

Does anyone care to share their experience and the hardware/pivot hinge arrangement they used?

Blog Entries
    Here are some more choices: Hidden bookcase door hardware
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Have seen and used one. We had a 2 inch steel tube attached in the roof, it came down into the concrete. Big ball bearing swivels welded on support rods through the tube held up the bookcase. The bookcase was about 3 ft. wide. Anything less would be a waste of time!
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

The Lippincott Williams & Wilkins office in Philadelphia has one which is the door to their conference room --- way cool --- no sign of sag, and it dated back to before anyone I spoke to started working.

Lee Valley of course has hardware for this: http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...=3,41305,55408 --- no experience with it though, and not encouraging that they show a mostly empty shelf in the product photo, echoing the concerns already voiced.

9D73EBC9-A444-460E-8FDB-E150AB41AB83.jpg

I’ve used The Murphy Bed pivot hardware with excellent results.

Rixon Pivots have been the gold standard for as long as I can remember. If the door sags , it’s because your structure settled , or your casework wasn’t up to snuff. The basic pivot design is simple, strong, proven and has been around for ages.

Most of the rest are imitators and I’d question their ability - especially something like Murphy who’s haven’t been around that long.

just watch young frankenstein put the candle back

fff.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Have seen and used one. We had a 2 inch steel tube attached in the roof, it came down into the concrete. Big ball bearing swivels welded on support rods through the tube held up the bookcase. The bookcase was about 3 ft. wide. Anything less would be a waste of time!
    many moons ago we did one with black pipe and front wheel bearings and races
    Carpe Lignum

I built one using a replacement trailer axle, with a 3/8" metal plate bolted to the top hub. It's easiest to make the whole thing to sit in front of the wall to solve the hinge side clearance issues, and any imperfection in fit to wall over time is not as easily noticed. We built an extra outer shell that was adjustable, but reveals made it look like part of the design. Last I heard it was still working good.

With the hinge side close enough to a room corner, it helps to conceal any clearance needed.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 12-15-2018 at 9:06 AM.