Thread: 3D or 2.5 D Image or Model of a Border Collie

3D or 2.5 D Image or Model of a Border Collie

We have a beautiful grown up Border Collie and getting out of the puppy stage now. I have asked the folks over at Design and Make and no they don't have one and I offered to pay extra for one and sent them a picture of Gina. That was 3 months ago. Does anyone have a lead on one I could purchase and carve. I suppose I could try to make a 3D (2.5) image from a good photo which we have.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I see a few online, but I don't know how useful those would be. Generally, those are created for people who want to 3D print small scale or use them in software applications. Depending on the size you want to carve this, you may need to do some model manipulation to get the height to work on your table. If you have to manipulate the model much it might be just as easy to start from scratch.

Here is one model: https://3dexport.com/3dmodel-border-collie-128875.htm

Google Search I used: 3d solid model "border collie"

Hi Brad, Yeah I had forgot about google I was just thinking someone here would have a good source other than Design & Make which I have purchased a lot from. I also found one on Thing Verse intended for 3D printers, which I have. Still looking for the perfect one, that looks like our perfect pup. Thanks for the reply!!!

43EB9EC6-19C7-40D3-843D-AFA3D508AC90.jpeg I might try PhotoVCarve this is my baby.

Bill, Michael Mezalick might be able to help you out. He's a member here and also on the Camheads forum.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Look at vcarve pro gadgets and look at the half toner. I have a similar program that instead of holes it cuts lines but does the same thing. Using on corian I had some outstanding results if you go to a picture instead of 3D. If you want I will look for the program I have when I get home and send it to you

You could do a nice lithophane of that picture

I tried PhotoVCarve the trial version not impressed. I am using my MacBook Pro with Parallels right now for my Online computer and its a pain switching back and forth to use VCarvePro. I am going to do something I said I would Never do.... start using my Windows 10 Pro Dell laptop My wife purchased for her daughter and it was not a game machine but once I upped the memory to 8 gB and seems fast enough for me! Win 10 is not that bad..... wash mouth with soap .

Yes if you could point me to the half tone gadget I would be happy to purchase.

Bill, other than the actual WinCNC computer attached to my CNC machine, I work in VCarve Pro exclusively on MacOS with Parallels and Win10. The singular issue for me is "rodent sensitivity"; otherwise, there's no difference in using it in that configuration than on a Windows only machine in my experience. And I run stuff in MacOS concurrently, too. 'Not sure what didn't work for you with the PhotoVCarve trial.

Interestingly, there were several of us at Jim McGrew's Aspire camp in the spring that were using Macs and the Vectric people were all goo-goo eyed about it...they had no idea it was possible for some reason. Beki was really surprise when I spoke with her about how well it works. And yes, I suggested they consider a native version. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Go to the vectrics site and look at gadgets. I don’t think there is a charge for any of them. They have the half tone there. When I get home I will send you info if I still have the other file on my old computer.

DXF_halftone_2.1 is what I was using. Looks like there is a 2.2 out now. It is a free download, just google it. Really simple to use with very good results. I was using it on Corian and a rattle can paint and was very pleased with the results.

Sorry I did not get back to this project yet, been busy. Thank you for the suggestions.