Thread: Too nice to burn.

Too nice to burn.

Any turners in Ocean City, Md. area? Have some Holly-8-12", Spalted Maple-6-12", Flowering Plumb? 6-6-12", Pussy Willow(hard,orange color). Free to members. Will not give all to one person. Look better in my wood stove than on a store shelf. Call 443-513-1982 (cell).

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Robertson View Post
    Any turners in Ocean City, Md. area? Have some Holly-8-12", Spalted Maple-6-12", Flowering Plumb? 6-6-12", Pussy Willow(hard,orange color). Free to members. Will not give all to one person. Look better in my wood stove than on a store shelf. Call 443-513-1982 (cell).
    I'd almost drive to Maryland for some white holly!

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I'd almost drive to Maryland for some white holly!
    I'll top that. I'd almost drive from tree parched Arizona to Maryland for any of it.

Looks like Tenn. and Arizona are the only folks who appreciate good wood. Wood is green, 14"L. Been down less than a week as a log. I'll be cutting to length when rain (or snow) stops. Will not split til Feb/Mar. Wish you guys were closer. CAR

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Robertson View Post
    Looks like Tenn. and Arizona are the only folks who appreciate good wood. Wood is green, 14"L. Been down less than a week as a log. I'll be cutting to length when rain (or snow) stops. Will not split til Feb/Mar. Wish you guys were closer. CAR
    You picked a great time to cut the wood, especially the holly. Cutting when cold it is far more likely to stay white. (Holly is wonderful, even in small pieces.) If you can, at least split the pieces down the middle and seal the ends. If I find myself (or a friend) going that way before the firewood splitting I will certainly send you a note! Or maybe someone who lives closer just hasn't read your message yet.

BTW, most people seem want big green wood for big bowls. Those who prefer to mostly turn smaller things often use dry wood. One of my hobbies is processing green wood into smaller turning blanks and putting them up for dry. Some of the wood I'm using now has been drying for 8-12 years. I process a lot of wood for our annual turning club auctions and to give away and trade too.

P2253140sc2.jpg auction_wood_comp_IMG_20171202_175649_933_small.jpg

JKJ