Thread: Which Laser to buy?

Question Which Laser to buy?

Looking at 2 laser machine options.

The first one is a Titan250 Thunderlaser (DONGGUAN) with RD works. It runs on 110V, has wheels and good tech support. Comes with standard 130 Watt Tube. Comes with 4" focus lens. Internal red laser dot through laser head. This will have to be built since they only build them when the customer wants one. Not normally sold or listed on their website.

The second is Camfive CFL-CMA10050 (Yueming CMA 1325 CBA ). 130 Watt Protube (might just be a sales thing), 220V converter, no wheels, external laser dot (attached to nozzle), and tech support a little slow from our past experience. Comes with a 3" focus lens with an optional 2". They build these machines all the time. Comes with smartcarve software but they said they could load RDworks on the machine.

I am thinking the Thunderlaser since it has a 4" focus lens since it will cut thicker stuff than the 3" lens and I can plug in anywhere plus the quick tech support. But on the other hand, they don't build these machines every day, only on special request where Yueming does. Camfive tech support scars me. Hans Laser (Yueming) said I could come directly to them if I have problems but Camfive will have to do the warranty. Yueming is suppose to be one of the leaders in laser machines in China.

Present we have 2 Thunderlaser machines and 1 Camfive machine.

Thoughts please

Blog Entries
    Fred, You already have three lasers.
    What has been your experience with both the sellers/builders? Best positive would be my vote.

And there is no reason to only get a 3" lens if you want a 4". Get them to change out the lens. Simple and should be no extra charge for that. It is only a lens. And they all have a million. Now in my experience the external red dot is junk. (at least the one on my machine was) and I've changed mine out to dual linear. And an inline would be NICE. And should never wander.(within reason) You can change lens holders all day long and dot is still in same place. This gets my vote.
    And either 110v or 220v is fine in my opinion. (which do you currently have?) you aren't rolling these around your shop are you?

My thoughts.....
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

The Camfive is 220V with the converter. Had to install a switch for the blowers and a separate plug for the laser. The external laser is a pain to keep it right at times.

The 2 Thunderlasers are 110V. All the big machines have wheels and rolled into place and the wheels retracted. The small Thnderlaser (desktop) was put onto a table with a forklift. Just wondering the 4x8 machine might be difficult to locate without wheels and not sure how to move it with a forklift since the vents are at the bottom.

New update, Camfive stated that machine cannot be loaded with RDworks. This is different from what the manufacturer stated.

On the 4" nozzle, they stated the reason they use 3" is because the 4" would be too long and hit the table. I guess that solves the choice. Smartcarve software is limited compared to RDworks.

FWIW-- I have an 80w RECI in my Triumph. I was able to cut thru this piece of 20mm thick Cherry in one pass with my 2" lens...
    ch1.jpg
    ch1 (2).jpg
    it was very slow going, but it did it--

With my 3" and 4" lenses, I couldn't past 3/4 the way thru. The fact a 2" lens made it thru simply tells me that the increased power density of the 2" lens did much more good than the extended focus distance of the longer lenses...

I recently bought a 2-1/2" lens and I love the thing. Haven't tried cutting anything with it but for my engraving purposes it's a great go-between lens. You might consider trying one (if you haven't already)
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Britt View Post
    New update, Camfive stated that machine cannot be loaded with RDworks. This is different from what the manufacturer stated.

On the 4" nozzle, they stated the reason they use 3" is because the 4" would be too long and hit the table. I guess that solves the choice. Smartcarve software is limited compared to RDworks.
    Go grab a copy of Lightburn. I run it on our CamFive machine that uses SmartCarve just fine, and it's light years ahead of either SmartCarve or RDWorks. Very user friendly, active development form a US developer that listens to what people want and well worth the minimal cost.
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

Wow Kev, how slow did you have to go to accomplish this?
    Darren Wilson

Tool Control Solutions

Gerber Syst. 48 CNC Router
    Epilog 36EXT
    MAX MPS-20 Galvo 20w MOPA Fiber
    Roland LEF-200 UV Printer
    Wisely/JPT 60W MOPA

We did not go with Camfive, got scared with the tech department. Went with Titan250. Thunderlaser crew is the best when you need questions answered or replacement parts. They are GREAT people to deal with. Ben and Amy are the best. They are just a text away at all times. A++++