Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about Drawer Fitting

John, Great project to test this stuff. You can glue the front of the bottom and allow it to expand to the rear, or more commonly, drive a screw in through the bottom, to the rear drawer wall. You need to make the hole in the bottom a slot and put the screw in to allow for that movement. Or, you can do as I often do... use plywood and just let it float inside four grooves. Also, I want to advise you to test fit often. It astounds me how a single swipe of the plane can remove enough to dramatically change the slop in the fit. Less is more. Like the barber always says... "it's easy to take more off".

Solid drawer bottoms are usually glued just at the front edge.

This stabilizes what would otherwise be a flexible parallelogram!

Some support is provided at the back edge by the use of slot screws. i.e. slots in the drawer bottom.

best wishes,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by david charlesworth View Post
    Solid drawer bottoms are usually glued just at the front edge.

This stabilizes what would otherwise be a flexible parallelogram!

Some support is provided at the back edge by the use of slot screws. i.e. slots in the drawer bottom.

best wishes,
    David

Thank you, David. After a bit more research, this is exactly what I came to and my plan for giving this a whirl.

Typically a small pin nail or countersunk screw through the drawer bottom into the drawer back piece. As someone above said, dry clamp the entire table up. Then fit the drawer font. Use the drawer front height to determine the sides. Mill the sides and test fit. Mill the slot for the bottom, then let that determine the height of the back piece. Dovetail it all together, dry fit and lightly hand plane the height of the drawer front and sides to fit, if necessary. Then glue it up and retest.

You table looks great, by the way. Nice job.