Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Abranet abrasive discs

They def. last longer. I haven't noticed a difference in the quality of the finish - only the durability.

One caveat: they transmit more heat to the backing pad of the ROS, so invest in Abranet interface pads.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Decker View Post
    Martin W. (I think) posted that they tear too easily, though I've never had that happen.
    Keep in mind Martin has a commercial cabinet shop and is likely more brutal on discs.

As Prashun brought up you need to use an interface pad or you will ruin the hooks on the backer very quickly. The good thing is since Festool now has net abrasives you can get the perfectly matching pad from them, the Mirka version does not align with all the holes on the newest iteration of the Festool hole arrangement.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Thanks for the tip on the Festool pads, Van. Just ordered a couple.

I've been using one of the Mirka pads. Yes, the holes don't line up perfectly, but close enough. I also cut a hole out to line up with the center hole, which I've heard is where most of the suck happens.

(And yes, I'm aware of Martin's commercial brutality. )

I've only been using them for maybe 6 months. I find the abrasive does seem to last longer than conventional disks. I do like the better dust collection. I haven't had any trouble with the disk tearing in the middle, but it does seem easy to tear them at the edges when sanding other than flat surfaces. For example, I was sanding some window casing, and you know how it's not unusual for there to be little splinters or roughness along the sharp edges from the molding process. The mesh on the edge of the sanding disk would catch on the rough areas and tear fairly easily. I started using conventional 120 grit for the first pass, and then switch to the abranet for the higher grits. That solved the tearing problem.

Mirka makes more than one mesh disc abrasive. My distributor sells me Mirka Autonet. Evidently targeted at autobody industry, I'm told abrasive is the same, not sure about net itself. Supposedly less $$. They seem really tough and I was surprised to read about tearing. I don't think I've had one tear. It's a little hard to tell when they're worn when compared to stearated paper, but even if I use more of them the dust collection is so superior I'd pay more for that quality alone. I have boxes of Mirka paper discs I look for ways to use up...hand sanding etc. I finish up with 150 most of the time on bare wood. 240 is as high as I go unless sanding finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'm finding the idea of the Abranet/mesh abrasives to be very interesting. For those who have been using them regularly, how is their life-span compared to more "conventional" abrasives. (I use Festool sanders for reference)
    Longer than paper. Shorter than cloth backed

They tear for me when you're sanding face frames, and you're coming into another section of the frame. If you don't have the pressure just right, it snags and tears. With an adhesive backed abrasive, you kinda roll the edge up a bit to avoid that. Abranet, that isn't happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    They tear for me when you're sanding face frames, and you're coming into another section of the frame. If you don't have the pressure just right, it snags and tears. With an adhesive backed abrasive, you kinda roll the edge up a bit to avoid that. Abranet, that isn't happening.
    I know exactly what you're talking about. I've crinkled up discs sanding frames, but not torn. I wonder if the net is different for Autonet? Balance of sanders on things like face frames, especially narrow stiles and rails, has been my biggest hurdle moving into dust collection on sanders. Collection hose is a PIA to deal with, but I wouldn't go back.

I would estimate that my 100 and 150 grits last about 3x normal sandpaper I've used in the past, but only twice as long as the Indasa Rhynogrips I normally buy. I don't buy much Abranet because the economics are better with the Rhynogrip stuff. I keep waiting for the price to go up because it's so durable and the grit appears to last well.

I use the Abranet on Festool sanders with adapter pads. No real issues with tearing unless you butt up against a sharp edge. It does seem to last longer, but as others have said, the improved dust collection is a major factor in and of itself.
    Also, Festool and now Klingspor are making a "net" sandpaper...….there is a reason these established companies are following suit. Satisfied customers, repeat sales and $'s.

Jim

Well, I finished up the staining, and sprayed those kitchen cabinet doors today. I have to say they came out pretty darn good. I am very impressed with the Mirka net discs. As I mentioned, they are red oak finished with a 120 Mirka, using my $99 Festool sander. You would need a finer grit for maple or cherry, but 120 worked great on the oak.

Haven't tried the new Diablo net discs yet. I will try to compare them with the Mirka after Christmas. Busy, busy.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Well, I finished up the staining, and sprayed those kitchen cabinet doors today. I have to say they came out pretty darn good. I am very impressed with the Mirka net discs. As I mentioned, they are red oak finished with a 120 Mirka, using my $99 Festool sander. You would need a finer grit for maple or cherry, but 120 worked great on the oak.

Haven't tried the new Diablo net discs yet. I will try to compare them with the Mirka after Christmas. Busy, busy.
    The Diablo discs are less expensive than the Klingspor, Festool or Mirka net abrasives, I wonder where they are made and if the backer pad has Festool holee, if it has a bunch of holes to make them truly universal the backer pad makes the packs quite inexpensive. They seem to only make the 5".
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

I’ll let you know later this morning. Just got my festool sander and have a bunch of the mesh diablo on hand. Hang tight.

Not a match but mesh should work with festool pads. The diablo holes appear to be a smaller diameter pattern.

p3240168861-3.jpg

p3240168864-3.jpg

p3240168865-3.jpg

p3240168867-3.jpg

Greg, it'll help if you cut out a hole in the center of the Diablo pad, to match the center hole on the sander.