Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long should this piece take to make?

How long should this piece take to make?

I bought a 20w MOPA fiber laser from China last year and have had a blast figuring it out and making pieces of jewelry for my online business. I mark on stainless steel and my objective is to get a dark black. Color would be nice, but I've found it's extremely difficult to find a nice, solid color that marks reliably! I'm able to consistently mark black, but the issue I am running into is how long it takes for me to produce a piece of jewelry. In the picture below, this takes me ~10 minutes and I'm wondering how long other user's machines would take to make this. I paid about $7k for my machine and I'm kicking around the idea of selling it and upgrading to something that'll produce a piece of jewelry faster.

Hoping others chime in with machines specifics, how much they paid, and an estimate of how long it would take to replicate something like in the attached picture.

20181213_205911.jpg

On my epilog 40w + cremark would take 5/6mins. I know you’re running a fiber, idk maybe that’ll help.

You will never get a black mark on a fiber in a reasonable amount of time unless it's very small. My Trotec with Cermark would mark that in just a couple of minutes.

Blog Entries
    Gary is right. And depending on the base metal and surface, never is attainable.

I think for the most part, if smooth finish, engrave somewhat deep, take a couple of minutes, and paint fill with enamel if you want BLACK.
    Do as Jewelers do. Or cermark with CO2 machine.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    You will never get a black mark on a fiber in a reasonable amount of time unless it's very small. My Trotec with Cermark would mark that in just a couple of minutes.
    Thank you for the info, Gary. Any idea ballpark $ figure what I'd be looking at for a Trotec Speedy setup? I think I saw those are ~$20k?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Smith23 View Post
    Thank you for the info, Gary. Any idea ballpark $ figure what I'd be looking at for a Trotec Speedy setup? I think I saw those are ~$20k?
    I only know what I paid for my 80 watt Speedy 400 just over three years ago so it wouldn't apply now. If you want to mark stainless with Cermark then I'd suggest a Speedy 400 and 120 watts, but that's going to be nowhere near $20, probably twice that much. Depending on your throughput it may make sense to spend $40k++ or it may not, but don't base your purchase solely on price, you have to look at your needs and throughput.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    I only know what I paid for my 80 watt Speedy 400 just over three years ago so it wouldn't apply now. If you want to mark stainless with Cermark then I'd suggest a Speedy 400 and 120 watts, but that's going to be nowhere near $20, probably twice that much. Depending on your throughput it may make sense to spend $40k++ or it may not, but don't base your purchase solely on price, you have to look at your needs and throughput.
    $40k?! Wowzas. Definitely makes more sense for me to buy another Fiber vs. spend $40k on a Speedy. I appreciate the info!

Look at a Speedy 300. A lot less money and you don't need 120 watts. I mark stainless with mine almost every day; fast and with no issues.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    Look at a Speedy 300. A lot less money and you don't need 120 watts. I mark stainless with mine almost every day; fast and with no issues.
    If he wants to mark lots of parts with Cermark then a 400 would give him significantly more speed than a 300, you can't use that speed unless you have the power, so 120 might be appropriate. I would have Trotec do some speed tests on his parts to be sure.

The 400 is only faster if the wattage is higher. The 400 table is larger but it's really a rarity when I have to turn away work that won't fit my 300.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

here I go again

Speaking strictly Cermark engraving:

Three 40w $10k machines will engrave more stainless faster than one $30-$40k Speedy 120w machine...

speaking in general: three machines for whatever reason will be infinitely more practical and versatile than one....

As for faster fibering to black, more power is counterproductive, you'd actually be money ahead to buy 2 or 3 10w fibers for annealing...

>late edit< -- and here's a thought: you should explore using your fiber to emulate diamond etch engraving and 'full cut' bright engraving on stainless, those 10 minute pieces will take about 10 seconds
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 12-14-2018 at 5:43 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post

>late edit< -- and here's a thought: you should explore using your fiber to emulate diamond etch engraving and 'full cut' bright engraving on stainless, those 10 minute pieces will take about 10 seconds
    Kev, could you show me what you mean by diamond etch/full cut bright?

No problem

this is an old reject SS switchplate I tested on...
    Did a couple of practice runs and after a few tweaks I got this..
    de1.jpg

Closeup shows it really does look like diamond etching!
    de2.jpg
    There's no hatch, but what I did was use a very small wobble
    at 2000 speed, 40% power and 40 freq (or so)
    -- it really dug in, looked a bit burnt even...
    So I removed the wobble and ran a few low power/high freq 'polish' passes,
    and it came out like this! While I took a few minutes with practice runs,
    the total engrave time was probably 45 seconds...

this is the font I used, it's a Truetype version of
    New Hermes Old English, which BECAUSE it's Truetype is not a true single-line font,
    but worked okay for this.
    defont.jpg
    Normally I do this on watches and lockets, but not nearly this aggressively...

This is what I mean by 'full cut bright', full hatch filling rather than
    simple outline engraving. Depending on the particular piece you're engraving
    and it's application, this works out very well. I've engraved many knives
    like this, SS license plate frames, wrenches, etc...
    brt.jpg
    Note the top engraving, it's has a yellow cast to it- this is likely because
    I used a .050 X-hatch, and it cooked the metal a bit. The bottom version I
    went to a .080 X-hatch, and was able to up the power a bit and got it brighter
    with much less yellow. Wider hatch spacing works better for this type of
    finish, less burn and reflects light better (I'm assuming )
    These were ran around 3000 speed, 35 freq and 40 power, about 5 passes,
    runs about 3 passes in 2 seconds

I did these for a friend awhile back, the knives almost look black
    although of course they're not, just the lighting angle, but
    that same light really highlighted the etching...
    knives.jpg
    IMO this was a much better result than black would've been.

Grab some practice material and have fun!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Awesome pictures. Thank you, Kev!

Hi Alex,

10 minutes seems a bit excessive, what fill and speed and power settings are you using to get your black? Do you need an annealed mark or just black?

Daz
    Darren Wilson

Tool Control Solutions

Gerber Syst. 48 CNC Router
    Epilog 36EXT
    MAX MPS-20 Galvo 20w MOPA Fiber
    Roland LEF-200 UV Printer
    Wisely/JPT 60W MOPA