Thread: Bullet lube for wood sealer?

Bullet lube for wood sealer?

I was wondering if bullet lube could be used instead of paraffin wax to seal the end grain of wood. A friend of mine has a large amount of it that will probably go to waste if no other use is made of it. The lube is a mixture of paraffin wax, beeswax and NO-OX-ID in proportions I'm not sure. I've been using a mixture of paraffin wax and mineral spirits.
    Last edited by Steve Mathews; 12-13-2018 at 10:26 PM.

Steve - I am a muzzleloader and know about bullet lube. I'd think it it would seal the wood alright, but it sure would be messier and more expensive than using Anchorseal. My Dad always used his old latex paints for sealing end grain. Not bad if you want some color in your drying area!!

Anything that prevents moisture from escaping the end grain or slows it down will work. I've tried most things (but not bullet lube) and they all work to some degree. Anchorseal works best. Parrafin wax flakes off after a year or so but ideally you would rough turn it buy then. Obviously I haven't always or I wouldn't know that fact. Plastic bags and stretch wrap works but leaves mouldy ends. If you don't mind blowing this off with a power washer it plastic bags work.

Some other things I haven't used but have seen recommended: roofing tar, aluminum paint, oil-based paint (two coats), melted paraffin wax.

But I agree, just break down and buy some Anchorseal and live the good life. I like the original recipe, Classic, not the updated version 2 (UC Coatings still makes both).

https://uccoatings.com/products/anchorseal/

It is FAR cheaper in quantity. I once bought a 55 gal drum for my sawmilling and turning, shared it with dozens of turners at cost (about $6/gal about 12 years ago), and still have about 5 gallons. Are you a turning club member? Some clubs buy in quantity and sell it a lot cheaper than the typical retail price. If your club doesn't, maybe they would like to. If you don't belong to a club, why not? If there are no clubs, pack up and move to the wood belt! (plenty of trees and turners on this end of the country)

The stuff will last forever in a plastic jug but if you think you will never use a gallon maybe buy one and split it with some others.

Sealing is so easy using this stuff out of the jar with no mixing, no cleanup. I use a Folgers plastic coffee "can" (bright red, easy to spot where I left it last), put about an inch of Anchorseal in the bottom, and put a cheap disposable 3" brush in the can. The brush never needs cleaning. I've been using the same brush and can for at least 3 years now, in the shop and when cutting blanks at the sawmill. When I put some in the can I leave the lid off for a while until some water evaporates and the Anchorseal thickens - it seals better thicker and I think it goes on easier. On problem pieces I used to use two coats but the way this emulsion is made the second coat doesn't coat as well. (the old water over wax problem)

auction_wood_comp_IMG_20171202_175649_933_small.jpg

JKJ

I've broached this topic of sealing wood before and was convinced that Anchorseal was the way to go until some came back with their success stories using the wax and mineral spirits concoction. I tried the latter again with a greater concentration of mineral spirits, which seems to be working better. I will buy some Anchorseal just to see the difference. But since this new and free wax fell in my lap I thought it might be worth a try, that is unless something in the mixture does more harm than good.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Mathews View Post
    ... But since this new and free wax fell in my lap I thought it might be worth a try, that is unless something in the mixture does more harm than good.
    It should do no harm. I use Anchorseal because it is so convenient.

I also have a large quantity of free paraffin wax. I once found a large piece washed up on the beach like driftwood.

All the above is good advice. The word AnchorSeal is tossed around and is brand name and not a general tern which is endseal. Like John, anchor seal #2 is a joke but other brands work as well and are readily available such as Artisan sealer by Craft supplies. Avoid like crazy their Tree saver sealer, a plastic based sealer. Most sealers are just water based paraffin liquids--nothing--nothing is more waterproof than paraffin. #0 years ago i mixed my own paint thinner and paraffin but I found endseals extremely convient and cheaper to use.