Thread: New chuck jaws

New chuck jaws

Hello all!! I'm in the market for new set of jaws for my Nova G3 chuck. What would you all recommend for turning bowls of 16+ inches. The greater the gripping power the better in my opinion. Looking forward to all the info and recommendations! Thanks!!

At least an SN2 with 75 or 100mm jaws. The G3 is intended for a 14” capacity. You can probably handle more shallow bowls at 16”, but you are pushing the limit.

Left click my name for homepage link.

I like the 75 mm jaws for up to the 14" limit of the G3 but agree with John that you need larger chuck body for 16" + diameter and there I like the 100 mm. I have #3 jaws on Oneway Talon and #4 jaws on Oneway Stronghold which would compare to the G3 and SN2 mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul St.Onge View Post
    Hello all!! I'm in the market for new set of jaws for my Nova G3 chuck. What would you all recommend for turning bowls of 16+ inches. The greater the gripping power the better in my opinion. Looking forward to all the info and recommendations! Thanks!!
    It might be ok for a 16" platter or a very shallow bowl or very light weight dry wood, but I wouldn't feel comfortable with a large, heavy blank on the G3. (I have some G3, SN, SN2, and Titan chucks.)

This may be a perfect opportunity to treat yourself to a Christmas present! Having more than one chuck gives a lot of flexibility. Just yesterday I used three chucks to simplify one 3-part turning. I generally look for used chucks or sales. I see there are some decent deals on ebay - one has the SN2 plus the insert needed to fit your lathe.

I like the Power Grip jaws, the 75mm and the 100mm or larger, depending on the size and shape of the bowl and whether I'm using a tenon or recess. The Record Power jaws also fit the Novas - does Woodcraft still have them on sale? Sometimes you can find people wanting to sell used jaws.

JKJ

Thanks foe the help guys!! An early Christmas present may be on order soon. Thanks again!!