Two years ago I was shopping for a new laptop and wanted to get a tablet/computer device. I narrowed it down to the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 and the Dell 2 in 1. I ended up going with the Dell for a few reasons, the biggest of which were the price ($500 less that the Surface Pro) and a higher-resolution display. After using it for a few months I got a new job that supplied me with a Lenovo Thinkpad laptop.

The Dell has been in the drawer for a few months now, and I use the Thinkpad for all my mobile computing. The biggest reason is the screen - the Dell screen is 12" whereas the Thinkpad is 15". It makes a huge difference. Also, I use it laying in bed at night, and the Dell had a hard time staying upright - it always wants to fall over. The keyboard connection is not great either - it's hard to align properly so that it makes connection with the tablet. The Surface Pro is light years better in this regard, as the keyboard is magnetic and snaps into place perfectly every time, though it does have to be disconnected and reconnected from time to time. I mainly see this problem only on the Surface Pro 3 units at my work - the Surface Pro 4 and later units don't seem to have many keyboard issues.

For my next laptop I'm thinking of the Microsoft Surface Book. I like the form factor, and we bought one for a co-worker who manages inventory and thus takes it from store to store to work off of. He loves it, and I loved it when I set it up for him.