Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Considering first festool

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    Didn’t like the ETS 125 sander. Too weak!

I have come close to buying a Domino but my Multi-Router can do so much more.
    The ETS 125 (not the EC version) is a short stroke (2.5mm) finish sander and many people that buy it as a replacement for a mass market ROS are not impressed. The newest one (either the Pro-5 or 125-REQ PLUS) has more power than the previous ones so it isn't as weak.

I ended up selling my Multi-Router after I had the Domino for a couple of years. While there is no question it is far more versatile I realized after I didn't use it for more than a year I simply never used the other features and the Domino is so much quicker and easier to use than the Multi-Router unless you are doing a bunch of the same joint in fairly small pieces. Anyone thinking of a Domino should investigate the other options like the Multi-Router and Wandel/Singh Pantorouter along with many others. The Dominos main benefit is taking the tool to the work and simple/quick setup.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Just got all the boxes. Unpacked it all but still need to put things together. Whoop, whoop. It’s like kid in the candy store.

initial impressions are the CT26 is smaller than my 16gal ridgid but way heavier. The sustainers are a nice feature. And the overall kit looks nice. Can’t wait to try it out sanding items.

My my next question is do I need to order a supply of extra bags? Do people use the cyclone deal? If so, do sustainers still stack on it? Etc.

thanks.

Oneida has a cyclone that clips into the top.

I've got extra bags, but with a cyclone they last a long time. Especially if you're cheap and empty them out.

Greg, your first bag will sustain you for a bit, but you'll want to keep a supply as you do need to change them when they get full. (I found mine was unfortunately "over full" today and it was a little harder to get out...that vacuum can really pack the stuff in!) I get long life from the bags, but I do not use my CT for general shop cleanup...I only use it for the small electric tools; primarily Festool of course.

One thing, when you do get to the finer abrasives you may find a need to reduce the vacuum a little to keep the tool gliding. The CT is a very powerful machine and when you get up into the finishing abrasives, it can really pull the tool to the workpiece.

On your cyclone question, if you buy the Festool variant, it's flat and you can incorporate systainers on top. You cannot do that with the Oneida version as it's a completely different design. I personally do not keep systainers on my CT, however, it's tucked under my miter station 98% of the time with just the hose/cord coming out to play. I store my systainers with tools in them on shelving currently with the exception of my Domino 700XL which is a "really big" systainer and I have that on the wheeled base I bought years ago.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Step away from the green Koolaide...oops, too late...
    NOW you tell me...

Oh Boy, I didn't know anything about that Festool Cyclone attachment, fortunately I don't use my CT26 too much, otherwise, I'd be $400 poorer......

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Played with a kapex setup today that had their dust collector on it. Would love the kapex but Am considering my first festool in the form of a 5” sander with the dust collector but am not sure. The price of all the festool stuff is just so high. It’s hard to commit as a pure hobbiest.

Can the festool 5” ROS use generic paper or does it require festool paper? I’ve got a ton of Freud diablo paper on hand to use up.

also, if I take the leap, which dust system would be the best choice for the first purchase? Would be in shop only. Hobby use. And I have Oneida central system for my major tools so this would be sander and maybe other similar items only.

Thanks for any i put out as I’m struggling with the price versus reward equation right now.
    With all the replies you've had so far, I'm sure this has probably already been said but here goes anyway...

First, Festool sanders are absolutely worth it. I own five of them and when the time comes that I need another type, I'll buy it without hesitation.

Forget the 5" sander. Go for the 6". IMHO... My first Festool purchase was the Rotex 125 / CT 26 combo. Then I bought the ETS 125 because I already had the sandpaper. When I got to a kitchen remodel I found the 5" just took too long so I bought the ETS 150-3 and later the 150-5. I use those two all the time. The Rotex 125 and ETS 125 are rarely used.

The sandpaper is a substantial investment, probably as much as the sanders. I bought the Granat 100 packs years ago and that may last me many more years to come. I didn't go with all the different types of paper such as the Rubin, just the Granat, and I've never had a regret. I know the other types have their uses but Festool says "Granat is our most long-lasting and highest performing abrasive and is well suited for nearly all applications, including bare wood, paints, most modern paint systems, VOC clear coats, plastic materials, solid surface materials, acrylics, and composites. Hardened Aluminum Oxide, Synthetic Resin, Closed Coated" and I've found that statement pretty much true.

My next favorite is the Rotex 90. It's multi-functional and great for getting in tight corners and doing narrow edges. I have used it to sand off the finish on kitchen cabinet carcases on two houses and it knocked it out in less time than stripping with no mess.

Overall I absolutely love the Festool sanders. They almost make sanding fun. And I did say "almost"
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Too late Julie. I already went with the 5” ETS EC 125/3 EQ model for my first one. My initial purchase was for finish sanding smaller items like cutting boards. I thought the 5” would be better here. Above I’m being told I can put a 6” pad on it though effectively making it a 150/3 version so my next sander will probably be a 150/5 ETS EC EQ version.

That should give me effectively 3 sanders with a pad change if my math is correct. LOL

Got everything put together this morning. It looks amazing. Can’t wait to get a project ready to use it. Thinking I’m going to sell my 16 gal ridgid and get a 4 gal ridgid to clean floors/counters with so I can store it easier. Unless I can find a spot to place this one full time and get a longer hose

p3239341284-3.jpg
    Last edited by Greg Parrish; 12-20-2018 at 3:43 PM.

I should have read through the thread before posting. You'll like the 125. I went from a 5" Bosch that I had for maybe 15 years to the 125 and it was like finding myself in heaven, especially with the CT26 picking up the dust. I absolutely LOVE that vacuum! It's quiet and powerful. I bought the Tradesman/Installer cleaning set about a year later. Great addition to the CT26. I even use it to vacuum the house.

Some time after my initial purchase I bought a Dust Deputy (regular bucket type) and hooked it up to the CT26. Then I read on the FOG forum about a guy who fried the electronics on his vac. The alleged cause was static buildup from the DD. Festool says using the DD voids their warranty. So I abandoned the DD on the CT26 and hooked to an old Craftsman shop vac.

Festool just came out with a cyclone separator but it's pricey! In the 5 or so years I've owned the CT26 I think I've gone through maybe 12 bags and that was because I was using the CT26 to suck up chips from the router and track saw. If all you're doing is sanding, it will take a long time to fill one bag.

I think you're going to like the overarm boom. I don't have one so I'm always using one hand on the sander and the other on the hose to keep it from snagging on the edge. With the 150s I've held the hose and let it run over the wood without touching the sander. The 6" diameter keeps the sander very level.

Have fun! My crystal ball tells me there will be more green machines in your future.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

On my CT26 I use the longlife filter bag, which is emptied, rather than the paper bags. It is pricey, but a one-time purchase. I also use a black, carbon-impregnated Dust Commander in place of a Dust Deputy, along with antistatic hoses. I believe the Dust Commander is French-designed and built in China. I have had a DD in the past, and the DC works as well.

Regards from Perth

Derek

You'll be happy with any Festool sander. I have 2 150/5, one with a soft pad and one with a super soft pad.

Kapex is the most overpriced saw ever built. If you gave me one, I'd sell it and buy 3 Dewalt miter saws. 716, 717 or 780. My 780 has only had to be tuned once (the initial tune up) in 7 years and it gets moved A LOT from shop to site.

Don't waste your money on a Kapex. Accuracy is more important that dust collection. A lasers on a saw are retarded and need to be banned altogether. Light shadows don't lie, lasers have to be calibrated and only show one side.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    Kapex is the most overpriced saw ever built. If you gave me one, I'd sell it and buy 3 Dewalt miter saws. 716, 717 or 780. My 780 has only had to be tuned once (the initial tune up) in 7 years and it gets moved A LOT from shop to site.

Don't waste your money on a Kapex. Accuracy is more important that dust collection. A lasers on a saw are retarded and need to be banned altogether. Light shadows don't lie, lasers have to be calibrated and only show one side.
    I guess $24k doesn't go as far as it used to!

Greg,

The one Festool I recommend to anyone Is the Domino. After lots of waivering About the cost, I purchased the Domino 500 with dust extractor combo. Huge impact on my ww’ing. Dust collector very quiet, easy to maneuver. No comparison to a shop vac.

I was so impressed with the dust control shortly after that I bought the 5” 125ETS sander. Very impressed with ergonomics, instant on/off, and dust collection. I’ve just ordered some sanding discs that are supposed to fit (Industrial Abrasives) for a fraction of the cost of the Granate paper.

Compared to my electric (PC) and air (3M) I would say no comparison to the electric but the air sander is really hard to beat I use it for coarse sanding.

Well, then came the tracksaw. Another huge change in the way I handle sheet goods.

IMO besides the quality of the tools, the dust extractor is where the money is at. So yes, $400+ for a sander, but the first time you use it you will know why.

Wow! Long thread! Couldn't even read the whole thing. Anyhow, my $.02...
    As everyone has said, slippery slope. All my Festools are go-to, including the Kapex. Once adjusted, I get 90* cuts consistently. No issues. What can I say...everything works as advertised. Buy once.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post

While I am not a Kapex fan for different reasons your last comment makes me wonder if you have ever used a Kapex or know much about one.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.