Thread: duplicators

duplicators

can copy attachments be changed to fit other lathes, or are they pretty much lathe specific? For instance, I have an old 1980's Rockwell/Delta school shop lathe in great condition. Would a copy attachment for another 12 inch lathe fit?

Some will and some won't. In my opinion, the dollars spent are not worth the time saved or the accuracy. But on the other hand, I had one, that I picked up for no dollars. It worked, but lacked being able to finish turn like I prefer. It collected dust until I gave it away. The simple versions like the PSI duplicator and the old Anker system, they work, but for the dollars, you can build one to fit the project that will do as good or better. The Anker duplicator was originally developed for people that were making miniatures like for dollhouse parts, the PSI is a similar knockoff. My suggestion would be to Google homemade lathe duplicators and build one, with enough research, it will be as good as the ones that available for sale. The additional benefit, it will be designed for your lathe, not a "one size fits all" version.

If you can fit it so the cutter sits at the spindle height then it should work. If you have one of the newer carbide cutters it will do very precise work. But I'm talking about the high dollar ones. Early in my career I built and hand made version and it left a finish much like the flat carbide cutters of today. took a fair amount of sanding. Then I used one of the Vega duplicators that had a carbide cutter. I was able to finish work within .010" of exactly the same and could start sanding with 180 or 220. Now I just do duplicates by hand but I have 30 years experience and yes they aren't as accurate but without measuring you can't tell the difference.