Thread: Your preferred wood filler

Your preferred wood filler

For painted projects.

I've been using Bondo mostly, but I'd be interested in hearing what you guys use and why.

Often I need just a very small amount and don't like to mix bondo, so I use either plastic wood or Durhams rock hard putty but I'm not real happy with either.

I'm thinking about trying Timbermate. Thx.

I've used Timbermate for years. Advantages: it is water based and doesn't go bad. If it dries out, just add a few drops of water to get it to the consistency you want. It is non-toxic. It is transparent to all finishes (as far as I know). You can mix and match shades to get exactly the right color. It sands and shapes well.

+1 on Timbermate. It also stains well with both water based and solvent based stains.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I've started using durhams water putty. It comes as power. Just mix as much as you need with water. Becomes rock hard when dry.

+2 for timbermate

Bondo and Durhams can't accommodate wood movement because they dry rock hard. That does not disqualify them from consideration, but it i something to think about. That's a plus for products like Timbermate. Don't forget home-made shellac (or PVA glue) and wood flour.

I really like the solvent based famowood. But for painted projects with very small repairs, perhaps some simple spackle would do the trick?

For painted projects ACE Hardware's WB interior/exterior wood filler is really nice to work with. For clearcoat work another two thumbs up for TimberMate. Awesome stuff.

John

There's no go-to-one-size-fits-all for fillers and puttys. In my shop is Crawford's, Durham's, car bondo (2 part), Timbermate, another natural WB filler I can't remember the name, and 3m Glazing Putty. Then I have Big Stretch Caulk for the gun and DAP Quick Seal Plus for small odds and ends. I just used the DAP to caulk in some pantry shelves that were prefinished in my shop. I forgot to base a closet last week and tomorrow I'll be taking the DAP tube and Timbermate with me to caulk the base to the wall and the Timbermate to fill the nail holes.

Does this help?

Here's a vent hood that was getting cypress veneer. I put bondo over every screw hole so there would be no air gaps for the contact cement to "let go" of the paper back veneer. Ask me now I know if that will happen!!!

This dude got shipped to Alabama. I guy found me on this forum and contacted me for a commission! I love the interwebs! I wish he would have paid me to finish it, his stain hides my bookmatching.

bondo.jpg vent hood.jpg
    -Lud