Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Track saw or table saw?

Yea I couldnt imagine my shop without both. They each have their place and in my work flow they are both needed.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

As far as space, a track saw certainly seems like the way to go for 4 X 8 panels. I've never used a track saw so no experience with cutting smaller pieces with them. If he already had a track saw and processed a lot of small pieces, a table saw would not need to be a hulking behemoth with 52" table and huge outfeed tables. I have a Grizzly table saw with 27" to the right of the blade and don't find it limiting often at all. Anything 24" or bigger can easily be cut with the track saw.

Table saws beat track saws for speed and repeatability and cutting small parts.

Track saws beat table saws on space usage, and breaking down large sheet goods.

I would go with the track for now. Many people eventually get both. So it’s not a waste to own one or the other first.

I’ve got a nice PM66 restored table saw that I use with most every project but finally got tired of wrestling full sheets of plywood through it. Initially I took my 12v Milwaukee cordless saw and did a close cut and then ran through the table saw for a clean up cut to size. But that gets old too, so a month or so ago while shopping at the BORG, they had the Makita 36v track saws and spare track on the clearance end cap. When first looking they had the saw marked $400 which seemed ok but not great. I waited a week and came back. The track was all gone but the two saws left were marked $250. I snatched one and ordered two pieces of track off amazon. I’m looking forward to my next plywood project to give it a try. My thinking is also that both have their place.

Definitely, without question your son needs a track saw, not a table saw. I recently got a SawStop. My shop is 14x24 so I don't really have room to manipulate 4x8 sheets through the saw so I got a 36 inch rip capacity saw which is working out well. To break down the sheets, I put them on a piece of 1 inch foam on top of my Paulk inspired workbench which is also the table saw outfeed support. Out comes the DeWalt and the cuts are made. I hook it to a Rigid shop vac using a Bosch 5 meter hose and very little dust escapes. I have all three tracks DeWalt offers. When shopping for a track saw, you have to consider the track as well as the saw. I got the DeWalt because their long track was less expensive. I think the Makita is a good deal too but their long track is pricey.

The reason I say definitely the track saw is it will always be useful and it involves the least investment. I am using my shop vac on the SawStop right now but it really needs a DC. That is another major investment both in dollars and space. I would not want to give up my table saw (actually I have three but the SawStop is the only full size saw). But I could certainly get by with only the track saw for cutting sheet goods to size, regardless of dimensions. Littler pieces are easier on the table saw but the track saw will do it. They cut reliably where you put the track. Doesn't matter the size of the piece although you may want to put some scrap out to hold up the track when making little cuts.

As an illustration of my comment that they are always useful, I am making a chest of drawers right now. I glued the top on last night but when I dry fitted it I discovered the back was sticking up about 1/16 on one corner preventing the top from seating on the little stub tenons that hold it on. To trim this, all I had to do is lay the track in place, adjust the depth of cut, and trim the piece. No other tool I know of would have done this as quickly and accurately.

I agree with the other comments that he may ultimately want both but he can certainly start with a track saw, hose and shop vac and decide later how much more he wants to get. If he has a workbench, a foam board for he top when he is making cuts is the only other equipment he needs. A setup with all three tracks, the vacuum and hose should be well under $1000.
    Last edited by Jim Dwight; 12-15-2018 at 3:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I don't have this system, but it might give you some ideas

I actually use many (most?) of the EZSMART tools, including the guide rails, the Universal Edge Guide, and the EZ-One Woodworking Center. They work as well for me as shown in the videos. For cutting strips of MDF or similar paneling you could use the Universal Edge Guide to quickly, safely, and repeatedly cut strips from a few inches up to 24" on a sacrificial surface (bench or foam), and then either use a (sliding) miter saw to chop them to length, or, for me, I use my EZ-One for that. The EZ-One provides a unique system for safe & repeatable panel cutting.

Handling full 4x8 sheets on the EZ-One is a handful, so when possible I still cut down full sheets using a guide rail.

Making a living is hard enough but wasting production time trying to do it is totally stupid and what works for a hobby does not necessarily translate to making the most of available productive hours. Track saws waste time in set up etc and are damned hard to get repeatable results from and that is if the cuts come out square. A vertical panel saw will cut numerous sheets while the track saw is being set up and they aren't super hard to build either.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kortge View Post
    I actually use many (most?) of the EZSMART tools, including the guide rails, the Universal Edge Guide, and the EZ-One Woodworking Center. They work as well for me as shown in the videos. For cutting strips of MDF or similar paneling you could use the Universal Edge Guide to quickly, safely, and repeatedly cut strips from a few inches up to 24" on a sacrificial surface (bench or foam), and then either use a (sliding) miter saw to chop them to length, or, for me, I use my EZ-One for that. The EZ-One provides a unique system for safe & repeatable panel cutting.

Handling full 4x8 sheets on the EZ-One is a handful, so when possible I still cut down full sheets using a guide rail.
    I just received mine and it's still in the box.
    I also picked up their universal edge guide to replace my Kreg Rip cut.

Hopefully, I get into the shop this week and give them a whirl.

I watched a ton of their videos on YouTube and, to this novice, this seems like a great system.
    I've been looking at making a panel saw one of these days

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Making a living is hard enough but wasting production time trying to do it is totally stupid and what works for a hobby does not necessarily translate to making the most of available productive hours. Track saws waste time in set up etc and are damned hard to get repeatable results from and that is if the cuts come out square. A vertical panel saw will cut numerous sheets while the track saw is being set up and they aren't super hard to build either.
    Interesting.
    37 responses and only 4 of them advocate a panel saw.
    Has a track saw really taken the place of a panel saw? I find that difficult to believe, and I own two versions of track saws.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    ...Has a track saw really taken the place of a panel saw?...
    No. A panel saw is much faster for breaking down sheet goods, and takes up much less space (in use) than a track saw setup.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

One of the things that attracted me to EZSmart was the ability to cut panels vertically.
    Safely.

Because of how small my shop is that is a real benefit to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Interesting.
    37 responses and only 4 of them advocate a panel saw.
    Has a track saw really taken the place of a panel saw? I find that difficult to believe, and I own two versions of track saws.
    Aside from the lack of general awareness of panel saws by a lot of folks, the lack of space in the subject worker's space may also have entered into this, not to mention that the cost of a quality panel saw is often substantial. A track saw isn't chump change for a quality product, but it's portable and storable. The singular issue with the track saw for the intended application is when the size of the sign panels gets small. Hence, the recommendation from some of us for a small, quality table saw to compliment the track saw. The latter breaks down the big sheets and the former deals with the small panels without taking up much space.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

No miter saw? I personally would go to the miter saw for the smaller cutoffs. The panel saw is a nice space saving option and could do both, so I like that.

But expensive. (track and panel saws are not cheap!)

I would suggest a smaller used miter saw. A regular corded circ saw with appropriate blade and straight edge guide. Or honestly, just get a corded circ saw and speed square for trimming the smaller stuff. It is not clear (to me) that high precision is needed to make signs. (excuse my ignorance)

That would work, and may be the most economical and space saving given I am assuming he isnt rolling in $$ so some practical consideration for budget is needed....

Budget no object, I am still with the panel saw camp.

Jim

I have the Festool system and the EZ system, and to cut up plywood takes quite a bit of space with either of them.
    Space is always an issue though, no matter which direction anyone tries to go.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 12-26-2018 at 3:55 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Foster View Post
    One of the things that attracted me to EZSmart was the ability to cut panels vertically.
    Safely.

Because of how small my shop is that is a real benefit to me.
    Larry, Is it possible to see a photo of your setup? I have the EZ Smart guide rails and baseplates and I also have the Festool guides and TS75 saw. I don't do a lot of work with sheetgoods, but I find it clumsy putting together a cutting table, with foam board, to use my tracksaws. Doing it on the ground just plain hurts my knees.
    I know that if I had to do a lot of sheet good work, I'd have invested in a panel saw, but I'd like to see your setup if possible for the occasional times I do work with plywood.
    Thank you
    Mike