In another thread this week, I mentioned my son does hand painted signs. He's had a very good last couple of years. He is in the process of moving from his 1-1/2 car garage/shop to some leased space which he shares with a friend who has an upholstery business. So he is talking about wanting a table saw that he can cut panels (8' x 4') of MDO for signs. He wants the capability to cut 4' rips of sheet stock. He has never been around woodworking equipment. Just recently cut some sheet stock on one of my table saws a Delta contractor's saw. I'm trying to suggest that he'd be better off going with a track saw. I have several reasons for trying to push him in this direction - 1) cost, 2) not permanently taking up shop floor space and 3) SAFETY! This son of mine has grown into a wonderful person. He made a lot of the same mistakes I made growing up with one difference - LUCK! I was always incredibly lucky and his experience has been almost the opposite. So the thought of him buying and using a very serious piece of equipment like a table saw has me petrified. His reasons for wanting a table saw is that he could easily and quickly cut sheet goods down with repeatable and accurate results (eg, boards are square, sides parallel, etc). He doesn't think he wants to spend the time constantly setting up to cut with a track saw.

I went to his shop today for the first time and having a cabinet saw in there is going to be a problem real quick for them I believe. I also think he may understand that as well. He had some questions about how track saws work and their capabilities and limitations. I have no experience using a track saw. I told him I'd ask you guys and get back to him.

What I'm suggesting to him is he could use saw horses with a cutting platform on top to cut his sheet goods but then be able to break that down fairly quickly and get it out of the way. He asked if you can use them to cut small pieces like 4" x 12" or smaller? Maybe it would be easier and better if anyone is aware of any good discussions or websites that talk about how a track saw works and it's limitations. ??? I also told him that the track saws are contained and most have dust collection built-in. This really appealed to him as the other person sharing his shop is concerned about sawdust on her upholstery fabric.

Arguments for and against are appreciated as well as links to other worthwhile and useful sites. Also, how would you guys rate the various manufacturer's track saws?

Thanks!
Mike

PS My son will be 32 this month but as parents do we ever stop worrying about our children?