Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Track saw or table saw?

Mike, I wish I could show you a photo.
    My EZSmart stuff is still in the box.
    (Also, still trying to set up my shop and wiggle every little inch of floor space)

My concept is to make a vertical cutting table.
    That way I can put a sheet of plywood on horizontally and rip or crosscut.

I bought the 118" track so I can rip.

I don't know if that helps or not.

Larry, you're going to need to figure out how you're going to keep the saw steady and unencumbered on the track for both horizontal and vertical cuts. Panel saws have that handled by how the "business end" is integrated into the guide system in an "unremovable" way. Even a minor deviation will affect the cut quality. I don't recall if the EZ system has the saw "captive" to the track or not.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

At least from the YouTube videos, it looks like their base mounts on the track to hold it steady.

Hoping tomorrow (or, possibly, later today to get out there and open the boxes and get the saw mounted on the base.

I can't (quickly) find the video to link to him demoing ripping vertically.

I'll see if I can find it and post.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Foster View Post
    At least from the YouTube videos, it looks like their base mounts on the [EZ] track to hold it steady.
    Not on the original EZ track/base system. Perhaps Dino came up with a new design.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Let you know tonight or tomorrow

I don't know if this clarifies, but here is a pic of the saw base on the track.
    EZ track.jpg

EZ track.jpg
    That's no good at all for vertical cuts.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

EZ track.jpg
    Yeah, the base interlocks with the rail so it is held steady for cutting in the normal horizontal orientation. But if you tilt the rail 90° either way as you would for cutting like a vertical panel saw, there is nothing mechanical holding the saw on the rail.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

In no way am I disputing anything you say.

I am a novice and defer to your knowledge and experience.

The track is held on to the board with clamps in the video I saw.
    Wish I could find it

I may have misspoke.I'll blame it on being a senile blond with ADHD.

This may have been what I thought I saw for ripping with the sheet standing up.

https://youtu.be/bFziH_ymiOM?list=PL...TMkSZSeua4ZXj6

This uses their universal edge guide.

In principle, it works a little like the Kreg Rip Cut.
    I have that and my results could be better.

Hopefully, I get better results with this

James answered the question I had...it's not about the track to the material...it's about the saw to the track. A small amount of tilt from horizontal would likely be tolerable, but not something at a high angle like a panel saw would be configured.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

12. I have the UEG and use it with a vertical cutting table made of simple 1x2's that is hinged to the wall, it folds out at a 30 degree slope (I found that to be the best angle to use) and locks with outriggers for use and then folds flat for storage. The saw is attached to the base which is attached to the 2 vertical arms that are in turn attached to the guide bar. There is a fin on the base that is allined with the saw kerf, it prevents kickback and keeps the kerf open. Best of all, the cuts are clean with no tearout. In use, the cut distance is set on the arms and the guide bar is set on the top edge of the panel and the UEG is pushed along using one hand on the saw and the other to steady the guide bar. It works great.
    Last edited by Wendell Terrell; 12-28-2018 at 12:35 PM.

I can’t see how any woodworking shop would not have need of or at least make good use of a good cabinet saw. As far as breaking down sheet goods: using the edge of another sheet, and two clamps, I just run a $50 Skil saw down the square edge, slightly oversized in case I get some burning. The cabinet saw will clean it up nicely.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hahr View Post
    I can’t see how any woodworking shop would not have need of or at least make good use of a good cabinet saw. As far as breaking down sheet goods: using the edge of another sheet, and two clamps, I just run a $50 Skil saw down the square edge, slightly oversized in case I get some burning. The cabinet saw will clean it up nicely.
    Dan
    If only all sheet good had perfectly straight edges.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Yeah...I find a straight one and keep it around...1/2" MDF is usually pretty easy to use. But for rough cutting, they're all plenty close enough. I cut my cabinet grade stuff 1/4" over so I can clean up both edges.

Dan