Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm losing a neighbor....

I'm losing a neighbor....

and gaining a RAS!

35 years ago my next door neighbor loaned me his RAS to cut gussets to retruss my carport roof in place.

A couple weeks ago they bought a home in AZ and today the movers came to get their furniture. He indicated they'd be back in March to get the home here ready to sell at which time he wanted to sell his mid- 70's Craftsman RAS.

I know the saw. I have used it and I wanted a RAS just to do dados in my shop. I bought it. I'll bring it home in the next couple days.

Now I can do dados just like Norm!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    and gaining a RAS!

35 years ago my next door neighbor loaned me his RAS to cut gussets to retruss my carport roof in place.

A couple weeks ago they bought a home in AZ and today the movers came to get their furniture. He indicated they'd be back in March to get the home here ready to sell at which time he wanted to sell his mid- 70's Craftsman RAS.

I know the saw. I have used it and I wanted a RAS just to do dados in my shop. I bought it. I'll bring it home in the next couple days.

Now I can do dados just like Norm!
    Ken, nice story and a nice ending!
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

I thought you were going to say you had the saw on loan for the last 35 years. My father loaned out his utility trailer, probably before i was born. I am now 59 and I have never seen this trailer. The cement mixer that was loaned with the trailer did come back when I was about 15 years old.
    Bil lD.

The nostalgia of the RAS. As a kid I learned woodworking on an one. When I was 14 I built my sister a hope chest for her birthday out of borg pine on one. She still has it in her living room 34 years later. That was the first big project without help from my dad. Enjoy your old new tool, Ken.

Congrats Ken. It's not often a person can buy a tool with "their history".
    On a second note, they sound as if they were great neighbors, which is hard to find these days. I wish them well in AZ.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Ken,

You might want to check and see if the recall is still active (google it). It includes a new table, saw guard, etc. and is free. They want the serial number, to make sure the saw hasn't already received the recall goodies.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I got one of those upgrades and it makes for a very nice safety improvement.

Delivered to your door at no charge.

Highly recomnended!
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

They were retired teachers. I enjoyed teasing the wife that my wife couldn't spell "shop" until we moved next door to she and her husband. Then some years later when visiting with a coworker and wife in Christchurch, NZ, my Kiwi friends wife offered to be a shopping guide for my wife. That night after their day of shopping while I fly fished, when we set down to dinner in a restaurant with Ken and Anne, I asked Anne how the day went. Her reply was "I had never really power shopped before!". I loved teasing our neighbor about how well she had taught Sharon and what a good student Sharon was!

Last night we actually had supper with them. I bought the saw during dinner. They were our age, had a son near the age of our youngest son. The husband took me elk hunting for the first time a few months after we moved here. A couple years later I hooked up with some elk hunters that used pack animals. The next year I managed to get my neighbor and another friend into that camp. We seriously hunted elk for over 15 years until the guy who owned the mules and horses got too old to hunt. The camp broke up because nobody else wanted the responsibility of the pack animals. As neighbors late in life we learned to ski and did so fervently for about 10 years. We consoled each other as we lost our parents. They were extremely close neighbors and friends. We will miss their daily presence in our lives.
    Ken

Well written Ken. Much as i love my RAS, and as nice as our neighbors have been for the past 10 years, i sure do miss the retired couple that lived next door for the first 15 years we were here. When we started rebuilding our garage after a fire in 1996, Del hopped the back fence every afternoon at 5:15 when i got home. If not for his help and motivation--that garage would probably not be finished yet!! Best wishes to them, and i'm glad they took care of you for so long!!
    earl

Blog Entries
    Good neighbors are worth more than anything money can buy, especially when you get tools from them. Sorry to hear of your loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Ken,

You might want to check and see if the recall is still active (google it). It includes a new table, saw guard, etc. and is free. They want the serial number, to make sure the saw hasn't already received the recall goodies.
    I think they quit giving out the kits several years ago, the $100 "bounty" may still be active, I don't know. I have a couple of the kits I never opened, I got them when I was between shops and the saws were stored but changed my workflow before I got that shop finished and never set the RASs back up. I would give ken one if he could use it if he didn't live in the middle of nowhere, the box is very heavy and would cost a fortune to ship.

Ken, free tools that are useful are always great. Those saws get a lot of grief and yeah I would rather have a Northfield Unipoint but I made a lot of furniture over the years that had cuts made on a venerable Craftsman RAS and they are nostalgic for me since it was the first woodworking machine I personally bought. It is making me smile since I bought it when I was in law school, I found it used in a newspaper ad... that concept seems so ancient now.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Van,

If Ken wanted to upgrade the safety aspects of his new-to-him RAS, the important parts would not be that heavy to ship. I think it is the replacement table that adds most of the weight and bulk.

I upgraded one Craftsman RAS by getting the kit shipped to me by Emerson, I think it was. The other one I have was already upgraded when I bought it off Craig's list cheap and in like new condition. I like them for what they are, and REALLY like the improved/replacement guard the upgrade provides.

Just a thought...
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    Van,

If Ken wanted to upgrade the safety aspects of his new-to-him RAS, the important parts would not be that heavy to ship. I think it is the replacement table that adds most of the weight and bulk.

I upgraded one Craftsman RAS by getting the kit shipped to me by Emerson, I think it was. The other one I have was already upgraded when I bought it off Craig's list cheap and in like new condition. I like them for what they are, and REALLY like the improved/replacement guard the upgrade provides.

Just a thought...
    That is true. As I said I haven't even opened the boxes but now that you mention it I remember that the table was the vast majority of the weight. So Ken if you are interested we need to figure out if the kit fits your saw etc.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Van,

I haven't looked at the saw yet. It's been 35 years since I saw it. I bought it "sight unseen for 35 years" but I know and trust my neighbor/friend. Let me take a look at it, get the model and serial and see if the modifications apply.

Thank you for your generous offer. I will get back to you.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Van,

I haven't looked at the saw yet. It's been 35 years since I saw it. I bought it "sight unseen for 35 years" but I know and trust my neighbor/friend. Let me take a look at it, get the model and serial and see if the modifications apply.

Thank you for your generous offer. I will get back to you.
    Just let me know!