Thread: thinking of pen turning , craftsman lathe worth the time

thinking of pen turning , craftsman lathe worth the time

I've been working on finding under clutter my 20 year old wood lathe and removing dust.

model is 113.228162 tube style MT1

question is anybody using one of these ? , or should I send it to Craigslist and buy a better tail-stock ?

I used a Craftsman lathe that is worse than that for many many years, turning hundreds and hundreds of pens. It was such a POS that was all I could do. BUT I was happy as a clam. Ignorance is truly bliss. Yes, you can turn pens on that. It will probably NOT get you any monies if you sell it. Watch said CL and look for a Jet 1014 mini, which should be pretty cheap. See the starter lathe thread earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Hall View Post
    I've been working on finding under clutter my 20 year old wood lathe and removing dust.

model is 113.228162 tube style MT1

question is anybody using one of these ? , or should I send it to Craigslist and buy a better tail-stock ?
    I used that one to turn spindles and some bowls. (I gave mine away when I got a better lathe.)

It will work, but is a pain to keep adjusted. I suspect it will work fine for pens, especially since the lathe is already in hand.

I can't remember what the holding method is in the headstock but the manual is available on-line. Maybe it has a Morse taper socket but if not you might have to devise some driving method.

JKJ