Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Share your stupid moments

Marlin wins

Been building a vanity for a customer. Just put my final coat of finish on my drawer faces and went to attach them to the drawers. Only problem is they’re the perfect height for overlay drawers and the perfect width for inset drawers.

Clint

Me too. I always get the fraction right but the whole number wrong.

Spot the mistake ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    No explanation needed:

Attachment 398593
    Yep, just did this one this weekend. It was half lap joints making a frame, but one end had the lap flipped (and the mating boards were already cut so....). Well, I just glued in a piece and recut the correct side. Severe loss of strength but not in a visible/critical area.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Spot the mistake ...
    Well it's difficult to spot unless you have glued the horizontal grained strengthening strip into the wrong slot.

above fllling in the for the dado you glued long grain onto cross grain solid if it wants to move it may or may not be able to or curve as its held on one side only. Maybe not likely as it looks like some type of mahogany and less movement than some woods, depends on the enviroment as well. am I seeing that correctly no coffee yet
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 12-13-2018 at 11:18 AM.

I was cutting the corners off some shop made crown molding the other day when one of the triangular cross-sectioned pieces caught and flew back and hit me in the jacket pocket, right behind the blade. Made me go, "Ooomph!" But surprisingly didn't hurt at all. Then I remembered my iPhone in the pocket. Well, it had a leather protective case on it and it left a nice 5/16" triangular impression in it. Then I pulled the case off and found another triangular impression. DRT. Right into the brains. The strip
    of wood was only 14" long. I kinda wish it just hit me in the gut. I was wearing three layers....

Dan
    IMG_5173.jpg

This is a great thread! It is so relieving to read about everyone's errors!

Spending 12 years with my ex.

I have vinyl siding on 2 sides of my house. No overhang off the gable end roof side to keep the rain off the house. I had a very bad moisture leak problem in the living room off that wall and thought the J channel was not stopping the rain from coming in at the top of the siding.
    So I ordered 2 long pieces of metal stepped steel matching the rest of the trim on the house to put over the J channel Gable end on a diagonal.
    I measured the length of the run on the left side closest to where you enter the house. I cut the length of metal trim that was about 4" tall by 8 feet long to the chimney. Put the piece up to attach and it was 1 inch too short, because I did not allow enough for the angle on the end of the piece!
    I attached a small 1" piece to the end with silicone and said the heck with it.
    The first thing most people notice when they enter my house of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Spot the mistake ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ha! Our kitchen pantry has a very similar feature.
    Chuck Taylor

Not recent, but at my first cabinet shop job I was tasked with making four passage doors for the boss's house. Thumbnail bead both sides, raised panels, jack mitered integral tenons in paint grade pine. The jack miters were a challenge and I took extra care with them on the last door. I guess I was so impressed with how they fit that I had that last frame glued up before I realized I had forgotten to put the panels in. It was a tense couple of hours slicing the beads off one side with a knife and nailing them back on over the panels before the boss came back.

Blog Entries
    Full swing strike the tip of my finger with a hammer on monday.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Wow, over 40 replies in 6 hours. Well, I could probably write about my own top 40 moments where I lacked wisdom but hopefully learned something. Like the time time I painstakingly milled a precision piece from aluminum for a jig and angled it the wrong way. Or the time I super-glued my fingers to something unmoveable and just out of reach of the debonder or even a scalpel to cut the bond (my usual method or other stupid CA glue moments).

For stupid lathe moments, I keep a Box o' Shame with reminders. I need to get a bigger box.

JKJ