Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Share your stupid moments

that I didnt buy a chunk of land or farms before a big well know super wealthy family came in and bought up 50 plus farms all around here. Reflects on the shop i have and the one I want.

Festool makes the only wood stretcher I wood trust. And it's only $18,540.00 Which does not include any of the attachments.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I just got a new ZCI for my table saw. After the initial cutting of the kerf, I noticed that the ZCI had shifted slightly and decided to reach my finger into the round slot to remove it WHILE THE BLADE WAS SPINNING. I still have NO idea how I didn't hurt myself with that brain fart.

Mine is a simple one that I do more often than I like to admit, when using a tape measure.

It is simply marking the fraction on the wrong side of the even inch measurement. In other words, If I want 48 & 1/2 inches, I end up with a piece 47 & 1/2 inches long.

Yes it seems to always be erred to the short side.

For this reason, as often as possible I use two sticks held to together with a spring clamp to transfer measurements.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Blog Entries
    I’m glad I’m not alone in my stupidity. Misery loves company. Here is the steam box after fixing the issue.
    03BEF16E-6855-4D61-B184-C345AEF140F2.jpg

Dowels will be horizontal in use. iPhone image flip.

Cut two tail pieces when I was building my shoulder vise for my work bench. Wasted a two foot piece of donated twelve quarter mahogany...sob!
    Joe

I've never done anything like that....

on days when I didn't get out of bed.

Blog Entries
    I often wondered how ANYONE could be silly enough to put a tablesaw blade on backward. Then there was a lot of burning on this one cut, right after switching to a rip blade . . .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    Mine is a simple one that I do more often than I like to admit, when using a tape measure.

It is simply marking the fraction on the wrong side of the even inch measurement. In other words, If I want 48 & 1/2 inches, I end up with a piece 47 & 1/2 inches long.

For this reason, as often as possible I use two sticks held to together with a spring clamp to transfer measurements.
    I used to have to teach engineering students how to use dial calipers and height gauges. I always emphasized to them that after the did their measurement, they should always check it with a regular steel rule to make sure they got the inches place right (this was from personal experience). They always looked at me like I was some idiot Liberal Arts student who couldn't do math (which I was). Sure enough, every one of them after 10 minutes of measuring would read the inches on the wrong side of the mark, and get 5.879 rather than the correct 4.879, because the 5 was closer to the mark than the 4, and the way they caught it was by checking with the rule.

Speaking of not being able to do math.....

I recently was making a new mobile base for my best-parts-of-two-old-Unisaws table saw upgrade. I measured the height of the saw several times, the height of the casters, added in the thickness of the plywood sub-base, did the math and, on top of that, drew the base profile out full scale. I measured everything out and welded on the caster brackets where my drawing indicated. And somehow when I put on the casters, the saw top was a half inch too high. No clue how I goofed up the calculation, I even wrote it out. I ended up having to use smaller casters and different levelers. I still have no idea how I managed to mess it up.
    Last edited by Andrew Seemann; 12-12-2018 at 7:12 PM.

I have 4 ex's

I recently made some inside storm windows by using PVC brick molding. And even though I carry Pat's idea a step further by always measuring twice and cutting once the vertical members for the first window ended up somehow being an inch short. Luckily, PVC solvent glue works well with hardly any downtime.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post

And this is why I have a left and right reading tape handy.... most of the time. Being left handed, I make this mistake too often.

Share my stupid moments..... sorry, there's just not enough space on the website for me to post all of them!

JeffD

I hope we are just talking about recent mistakes. I don't want to write a whole book here.

Two days ago I was cutting the edge treatment on 18 new raised panel cabinet doors with a router table. About halfway through the pile, I set a new one on the router table and started cutting. About half way through the first edge, I noticed something looked different.

I was cutting the INSIDE edge of the door, not the outside. Naturally, it was the largest, most complicated door in the whole kitchen. I came up with three different ways to fix it, but was not happy with them. The wife decided she would like to have it just the way it is...probably to hold it over me. So, I ended up just turning it over and cutting the correct side. The half cut edge on the inside will only show when the door is open and I can envision her 'accidentally' leaving it open when we have guests.

PS: Bonus goof. Not only am I dumb enough to put a sawblade on backwards, I am brilliant enough to put a whole dado stack on backwards. Not advised.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.