Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Share your stupid moments

Almost 20 years ago I had my first job on a construction site, within a few days the boss gave me a 9 inch grinder to carry out a task.

As I was cutting this long and laborious task, I phased out. Before I could respond, the grinder kicked back, the body of the grinder hit me in the face(extremely lucky) and I was knocked out for 15 seconds or so. I woke up with a big ass cut in my mouth, no teeth lost, no dislocated chin. Went home and forgotten about this after while.

Ever since then I had a lump in my submandibular area(chin-neck). I didn’t mind and didn’t know this lump is related to the accident. 5-6 years after the accident, one night the lump expanded, remember that recent viral thread of a criminal who had a huge neck? My neck was bigger than that. Went to A&E at 3am and was told to go home cos there is nothing they can do for me and told me to go to real hospital at 8am. I was on the operation table by 9am. Woke up with 6 straws coming out of my cheek draining liquid into a bottle. The test result says the liquid was just saliva. After 3 operations and numerous assessment - they didn’t know what caused it. A young doctor asked: were you in an car accident or something hit your face long time ago? That’s when I clicked. That accident. The young doctor said the grinder damaged my saliva gland and has been leaking saliva into my neck. That’s the lump I had for years. And one night, my body couldn’t absorb the saliva anymore.

Ever since the grinder accident I never touched a grinder. Never. And extremely careful when I touch power tools.
    Last edited by Albert Lee; 12-15-2018 at 1:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Spending 12 years with my ex.
    Took you 12 years? You learn sloooow. Took me 4.

Just built a vanity where I rabbeted one of the legs backwards. I even drew on the leg the orientation of the rabbet (but started at the opposing end) and cut it wrong. Luckily it was paint grade, so a filler strip, some bondo and sanding and I was back in business. Here she is installed.

vanity.jpg
    -Lud

Last week I was preparing a tender for the supply of 150,000 components over 4 years. I wrote it up in draft form, the boss checked it, the machine shop manager checked it and we all agreed it was OK. I ran out of time to send it off so left it till next morning. In the middle of the night I woke up thinking about this job (value runs into 8 figures) and suddenly it hit me - I had not included the cost of manufacturing the molds for die casting, which is a substantial cost on its own and equal to the projected net profit. It still makes me go cold that if I had been a bit more organised, I would have submitted before I put that figure in.

On the other side of things, my left hand has always copped it. I have removed the middle joint of my thumb with a drop saw, shot at least 6 framing gun nails through it and I can count 6 chisel scars but there were more than that. With all that, it is my right hand that is beset with the worst arthritis... Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    The gas model is much more powerful. I have a buddy that built his whole house with just one 2x4 using a gas stretcher. His neighbor barely was able to get a shed out of his 18V cordless.
    I wish I had known about these before I started my shop build. Could have saved a lot of dough...

This made me laugh.

My shop construction is progressing more slowly than I would like. I have one of my sons helping three days a week.

Yesterday I was working by myself, and not wanting to waste the rental of the man-lift, and trying to get started on the roofing - I nailed two (thankfully small) sections of decking on, and cut and nailed the sub-fascia on the adjacent section. The upper story has three different roof sections.

After I put the decking on I realized once I had laid out the plumb cuts on the other rafter tails my soffit wasn't wide enough for the overhang length on the section I had decked.

To make matters worse, at the end of the day after working on other things, I looked up at the roof line - the middle section that I nailed the sub-fascia to has an overhang on each side I hadn't finished building and the board needed to be extended on both sides.

So - I probably would have been better off staying inside yesterday as I had to spend part of today undoing and redoing those areas.
    Regards,

Kris

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris Cook View Post
    So - I probably would have been better off staying inside yesterday as I had to spend part of today undoing and redoing those areas.
    You can probably order one of these and get it before Christmas.
    https://www.toolsofthetrade.net/vide...rd-stretcher_c
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Wow, I love it Lee, I want one, but the website is out of order.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    Do I dare admit to yet another stupid??? I was just gluing up a 7-piece laminate for a bow stem for the boat build. I had to butter both sides of each strip with epoxy, except the two outer strips. Well, I was going right along and not thinking and buttered both sides of one of the outer strips. I just took some clear packing tape, which epoxy won't stick to, and stuck it (surface tension held it) to the outer part so that the clamps wouldn't get epoxied to the piece. At least I had a smart fix for my stupid moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    You can probably order one of these and get it before Christmas.
    https://www.toolsofthetrade.net/vide...rd-stretcher_c
    That is awesome.
    Regards,

Kris

When I was about 15 I got into wood working.........
    When I was about 30 I got into boating.................

Boat.....Bring Out Another Thousand
    Wood Working.......You can never make enough money to get the tools you desire.

I only did this so I could add to this thread.

Shortened Rails.jpg

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.
    Chuck Taylor