Thread: 220V with regulator vs just 110V

220V with regulator vs just 110V

Looking to purchase a new laser machine. 130W or 150W.

I'm down to 2 machines. One comes with a 220V regualtor and the other just plugs into the wall.

The software on the 220V comes with SmartCarve. The 110V comes with RDWorks.

I like the idea of not having to special wire a plug with the 110V and the RDWorks software.

Any suggestions on the pros and cons of the 220V vs the 110V?

My opinion is that I would avoid the 220 with converter. Too many people have posted problems with the converter. Smartcarve may be great but I would go for a Ruida controller (uses RDWorks) just because there is a larger support community for Ruida and Ruida controllers allow you to use LightBurn.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Actually, we have a laser that uses SmartCarve, and it is a Ruida controller with a different firmware in it, and works just fine with LightBurn.
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

It is really no big deal to wire up a 220 breaker to an outlet to run a 220 machine. I used a transformer for awhile but the relays don't last. Best thing I did was just run my own 220 to it...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

My Epilog will run on either, with the flip of a switch and change of cord, but I have always used 110 with no reason to change.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green