Thread: Cherry Spoon

Cherry Spoon

IMG_2157-1.jpgIMG_2158.jpgIMG_2161.jpgIMG_2159.jpg

My mom told me that she really likes Welsh Love Spoons so for Christmas I decided to try to see what I could do. It's not as elaborate as the ones I used for inspiration, but this was uncharted territory for me. I'm happy with it and I think she'll like it.

IMG_20181121_192224.jpgIMG_20181123_140949.jpgIMG_20181205_211454.jpgIMG_2140.jpgIMG_2142.jpgIMG_2150.jpg

Some in progress pictures. Started with a paper template. Moved to drilling out the waste in the middle and using a scroll saw and oscillating spindle sander where it would fit. Used a Hirsch #7 35mm straight gouge for the spoon part along with a card scraper. Cut it out on the bandsaw. Shaped with rasps, files, chisels, sandpaper, flat and round bottom spokeshaves, and my trusty cardscrapers.

Wow ! That's some spoon . . . I don't expect that one will ever leave the wall. ..Very nice.

Very nice work. Is it your first spoon? I took the class from Peter Follensbee and Sir Roy but have made little progress since then. You give some inspiration. Thanks!
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    Wow ! That's some spoon . . . I don't expect that one will ever leave the wall. ..Very nice.
    Thanks, I just shipped it off yesterday so hopefully it makes it in one piece.

Quote Originally Posted by David Utterback View Post
    Very nice work. Is it your first spoon? I took the class from Peter Follensbee and Sir Roy but have made little progress since then. You give some inspiration. Thanks!
    Thank you. I made a small scoop before, but this is my first spoon, and first time carving? sculpting? Whatever you want to call it. I bet that was an amazing class, I'm jealous! I like making spoons and scoops. They don't take a lot of material and are easy to start and stop when you're busy and can be finished fairly quickly.

That is nice work. How long did it take you.
    Charlie Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Jones View Post
    That is nice work. How long did it take you.
    Thanks. I picked at it for about a week

Nice, and thanks for the in progress photos.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Pisano View Post
    Nice, and thanks for the in progress photos.
    Thanks. Yeah, I always enjoy the in progress pictures so I figured I would include them. Glad you liked them.