Thread: Where can I purchase dovetail keys other than Hoffman?

Question Where can I purchase dovetail keys other than Hoffman?

I use a lot of dovetail keys for picture frames that I make and I need input on a good reasonable site to purchase these. I have been buying from Hoffman, but I need them more reasonable. Any information would be appreciated.

If you have the router bit to cut the sockets, why not use that to cut your own keys? Probably cheaper, and you would certainly have better control over the quality of the material.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

What I do is cut a groove in the end of each picture frame piece and put in a biscuit. I don't cut the groove fully across the 45 degree end - just enough to get the biscuit in. That provides strength to the joint and doesn't show.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by James Morgan View Post
    If you have the router bit to cut the sockets, why not use that to cut your own keys? Probably cheaper, and you would certainly have better control over the quality of the material.
    The keys are tapered to pull the joint tight, not an easy cut to duplicate. I don't have the system, always wanted to get one. I don't know what you are paying, but only has to be a tiny fraction of what you put in the framing.

I buy my keys from a distributor, Barbo Machinery here in the PNW.

The other advantage to the Hoffman keys, assuming you mean the plastic ones, is that they will never split along the grain.
    JR

never looked too close but memory says they were synthetic material and hammered in drawing stuff together, i think Joe uses them in his bollection mouldings, speaks highly of the level of thought and care he puts into the work.