Thread: Spruce workbench, lessons learned

Spruce workbench, lessons learned

I recently completed a small moravian style workbench for our local woodworking club.

workbench.jpg
    (I apologise for the rotation)

We have to remove it after meetings, so it is knockdown and budget is restricted and hence the use of construction grade 2x spruce. The top has to be easily lifted and hence the split top.
    1. Spruce (here in Canada actually spruce , pine, fir or poplar) is full of knots, defects and twists so pick your lumber yourself
    2. Avoid 2x4s often cut from small lumber and contain the pith of the tree, much more prone to splitting and warping.
    3. Be concious of the end grain when selecting for the same reason
    4 .Buy and rip 2x8s to get two 2x4s. Usualy cut from more desirable trees.
    5. Avoid fir if possible- darker heartwood and Christmas tree smell. The wood is lighter and splinters even more than spruce
    6. Buy 10' material so you have greater freedom in cutting out defects.
    7. Use the wood fresh , it hardens and twists as it dries
    8. Laminate most components to help with the twisting. I found it helped to have the centre of the tree inside, when looking at the grain from the end.
    9. Cut your mortises before guing up the laninations
    10. Take great core to drill only to the point that the centre brad of the bit penetraes the far side and then counterbore from the otherside, otherwise expect tearout
    And even with all that, you have to keep reminding yourself that it isn't fine furniture!

Bill Howes

_rotate.jpg
    [JKJ EDIT: rotate photo]
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 12-12-2018 at 7:45 AM.

I’m in Ottawa and have built many benches with our Canadian spruce. Yours is an excellent and accurate summary and is exactly what I have observed.

Bravo! I will build one someday as I live in a rental it would be nice to be a little more portable. Having had a lumber made bench in the past, I see no reason to use anything else.

4. I'm in Halifax as well and have built an Nicholson out of Big Box spruce, same issues for me. That and the sap on the soles of my planes! I've noticed that Home Depot's 2X12s are coming out of New Brunswick and seem to be of higher quality than the Irving stuff we're use to.

Is this for the Atlantic Woodworkers Association? I really need to join that club.

Oh yeah, the sap. I pretty much destroyed my thickness planer rollers running the bench tops through. What a bear cleaning them. But my handplanes love this stuff. I keep a little oil or wax on them so I don't have a problem. I love hand working it.
    Last edited by Richard Hutchings; 12-12-2018 at 9:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bill howes View Post
    I recently completed a small moravian style workbench for our local woodworking club.

workbench.jpg
    (I apologise for the rotation)

We have to remove it after meetings, so it is knockdown and budget is restricted and hence the use of construction grade 2x spruce. The top has to be easily lifted and hence the split top.
    1. Spruce (here in Canada actually spruce , pine, fir or poplar) is full of knots, defects and twists so pick your lumber yourself
    2. Avoid 2x4s often cut from small lumber and contain the pith of the tree, much more prone to splitting and warping.
    3. Be concious of the end grain when selecting for the same reason
    4 .Buy and rip 2x8s to get two 2x4s. Usualy cut from more desirable trees.
    5. Avoid fir if possible- darker heartwood and Christmas tree smell. The wood is lighter and splinters even more than spruce
    6. Buy 10' material so you have greater freedom in cutting out defects.
    7. Use the wood fresh , it hardens and twists as it dries
    8. Laminate most components to help with the twisting. I found it helped to have the centre of the tree inside, when looking at the grain from the end.
    9. Cut your mortises before guing up the laninations
    10. Take great core to drill only to the point that the centre brad of the bit penetraes the far side and then counterbore from the otherside, otherwise expect tearout
    And even with all that, you have to keep reminding yourself that it isn't fine furniture!

Bill Howes

_rotate.jpg
    [JKJ EDIT: rotate photo]
    Bill,

Congrats on a good looking portable bench. I'm assuming the split slab was so two folks could work at the same time plus lighter for moving.

ken

Mathew you would be most welcome. Second Tuesday of the month!
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Bill,

Congrats on a good looking portable bench. I'm assuming the split slab was so two folks could work at the same time plus lighter for moving.

ken
    Ken you are right in that we store the slabs overhead so weight was the main concern. The small tool tray to keep sharp tools from rolling off is a bonus as well. Hadnt really thought about two people working as its mostly for demonstrations.
    In another configuration the top is flat.
    20181212_122417.jpg
    Again apologies for the rotation
    Bill