Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teens with remotes, and batteries

I'm well versed on rechargeable batteries. For my stuff, it's all I use.
    The 11 year old is: Parcour; Rugby; pick-up ice and street and field hockey; paintball; and, bless him, an avid student of military maneuvers and stelch tracking (He's 100% Aboriginal Canadian). When he asks for batteries, I give him.
    The other one, well.
    Unfortunately, 1.25 rechargeables don't often work in those toys.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I am curious why (based on this thread) a lot of people still don't use rechargeable batteries. Outside of the products that come with an initial set of batteries they are all I use.
    In my case I had devices that didn't care for the 1.25 volts available from NiMH rechargeables.

I buy batteries by the 100's off E=bay cheap...
    I have one remote that when it quits I take out the batteries and check them.
    One battery out of the four will be dead. No only dead but reversed charged.
    I don't know how this happens but about once a month one battery will have
    reverse
    polarity. The other three are still good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Beitz View Post
    I don't know how this happens but about once a month one battery will have
    reverse polarity. The other three are still good to go.
    When one battery goes down far enough, continuing current from the others can charge it in reverse (in certain circuits). That's one reason to carefully selected matched rechargeable cells when building battery packs. The battery stores will match them for you, but likely at a higher cost than ebay.

I use the NiMH's from HF. Running my FM transmitter on two AAA's, I get a weeks worth of listening. Once a week, whether I need to or not, I install a fresh pair and put old ones on charger. Next day take them off charger, and place in battery bag in bottom drawer near phone. Be aware that they sell two different capacites, both for same price. Read the label carefully
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 12-13-2018 at 8:50 PM.