Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: waterless shop urinal?

Have you considered one of the small portable camping toilet? Once a week take it in the house and dump it into the toilet. No plumbing needed.
    You only need 2 tools in life. If it's supposed to move and doesn't... use WD40. If it moves and shouldn't... use duct tape.

Alas, another dream shattered. Some replies reminded me of the PC police, and considering where I live, in the PDRC, I forgot that my attempt to be a little classier in handling my necessary body functions could actually get me in legal trouble. Good intentions be damned, there are rules to be enforced. No good deed goes unpunished, etc.

Sure, I thought of the old coffee can/hose trick, but that waterless urinal sure was enticing. I would be foolish to make a gravel pit setup knowing I could run afoul of the code enforcement commissars. I shall rejoin my two canines in the gravel area behind the shop.

My shop is close the house, but to use the facilities I need to walk through three doors, and a gate, around the tutoring classroom, to the other side to gain access. At 76, we are talking about a lot of trips.

Thanks folks.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Rick, you can probably work something out that's "in the middle"...rather than buying an expensive fixture that potentially could cause the issues mentioned in the thread, you could easily do a simpler setup that's not unlike the provisions in a porta-potty for males. A "funnel" made from a milk jug with the bottom cut off tied to a hose that heads outside through the wall to a bucket with a secure cover. You just need to empty it occasionally into a toilet in the house and it's usable in any weather. I'm sure the dogs will be disappointed, but...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ... tied to a hose that heads outside through the wall ...
    Look up pilot relief tube. Think about that when looking up to watch a plane go over.

JKJ

My backyard works really well.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I just open the door and let-er-rip.
    No neighbors for miles behind my house where my shop is. UPS driver almost caught me once though.

Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    I just open the door and let-er-rip.
    No neighbors for miles behind my house where my shop is. UPS driver almost caught me once though.
    When females are here at the barn (vet, farm help, etc) they just want to know where the security cameras are not aimed. One just goes in the barn stall, not much different than what the mini donkeys and llamas leave. Quite a difference from the teen girl who stepped on one goat pellet at a church event a few years ago - you'd think she'd had a bucket of slop poured over her head and down her clean white dress.

JKJ

Simplest indoor solution would be a 5 gallon pail and cat litter. Baking soda will help with any odor, change now and again.

I want so bad to say "Just dig a hole, dump some gravel in it, use it, and flush with water every so often so it doesn't develop a smell". But I won't because I am not sure you aren't living on a typical residential lot in a subdivision with neighbors where a sensitive person might see you using. That might turn out bad. If you are a reasonable person, you should be able to judge what to do and not worry about it. If you do go for it, consider location so a visitor won't surprise you when coming to visiting, even if they are headed for the shop or back door.

The decision is made. See post #17. Back to the solution used for the 10 years since I built the shop.

I was hoping for a more classy setup, but considering where I live....I don't wish to run afoul of the law.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    The decision is made. See post #17. Back to the solution used for the 10 years since I built the shop.

I was hoping for a more classy setup, but considering where I live....I don't wish to run afoul of the law.
    I agree. Its frightening to see that mob coming after you ,carrying their bright non poluting LED torches and heads of lettuce impaled on giant stainless steel forks!!

We conserve everything here. Make that Romaine lettuce on those pitchforks.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I just make yellow snow.
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska