Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: waterless shop urinal?

waterless shop urinal?

I have always wished my detached shop had a bathroom, but it wasn't within my means when I built it. The nearest sewer line is on the other side of the house.

I have only recently thought of using a waterless urinal, and knew nothing about them, so I googled them, and watched videos on cleaning and maintaining them. So I now know they are not really waterless, but need very little water, and are hooked to a sewer drain.

I am wondering if it is feasible to install one in my shop, and have the drain line go through the wall to a simple gravel filled pit the size of a 5 gal bucket. It appears that would be plenty big enough to handle the occasional water needed to clean and maintain the urinal.

Seems like that would be a bit classier than my use of the same mentioned gravel area from the outside of the shop.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcomed.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Years ago, a guy my dad knew had a hunting cabin that was up on stilts, sort of a combination cabin/deer stand. Had a fold up cot along the one wall, kerosene heater, chair and a transistor radio. He had an out house about 50 ft away. But this stand was up in the air by 12 to 15 ft. with a step ladder and trapdoor to negotiate to get up and down. So in the corner was a piece of pipe with a long funnel shaped top that had a cover over it. Yep, the pipe went down into the ground to a french drain type thing. That is where urine was deposited, stale coffee was dumped etc.

Worked fine at Scout camp.

I hope to build a bathroom in my shop too, probably by adding on a room. I want a full bathroom with commode, urinal, water heater, and shower. My shop is down the hill from the house and septic system so I'll probably just get out the backhoe and dig a second septic system.

For now, this is a few feet from my shop door and the barn.

mens_room_IMG_20161014_0957.jpg

For your situation I think I'd just dig a dry well (a hole filled with gravel). What's the practical difference between depositing urine directly onto the ground and depositing it on the ground through a pipe?

Just one of my horses can put a few quarts on the ground multiple times a day. Let's see, three horses, three mini donkeys, six camelids, cats and dogs and possums and...

You might check with the health department to see if there are special rules. There are situations where people install tanks even for the house where a septic system is impractical, having it pumped as needed.

JKJ

John, the Romans used urine for doing the laundry. All you would need to make that a success is some really good advertising!

For now, this is a few feet from my shop door and the barn.
    I wondered how long it would take until this solution was mentioned !
    They have those in San Francisco too, only they nail the signs to telephone poles instead of trees .
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    Just a word of caution here. Installing a non-approved urinal or toilet in a building can lead to fines and penalties. You are advertising your intent on a forum that is viewable by almost anyone.....
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Just a word of caution here. Installing a non-approved urinal or toilet in a building can lead to fines and penalties. You are advertising your intent on a forum that is viewable by almost anyone.....
    Yes, Lee beat me to it. Will it work? Absolutely. Will it cost you an arm, a leg and maybe another appendage? Possibly. Septic/plumbing is the most heavily regulated thing across almost all jurisdictions these days. Please find out what the rules are in your area before you do anything. You may be able to do what you want to do with a holding tank.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Put down the gravel and add a bit of privacy fence - you could stash a trash can there to make it less obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    ... in the corner was a piece of pipe with a long funnel shaped top that had a cover over it. Yep, the pipe went down into the ground to a french drain type thing...
    When I was in the USAF many years ago I talked my way into several back-seat rides in T-33 jet trainers. Right there under the middle of the front of the seat was a small funnel that I assumed was a fire extinguisher until I asked.

Your proposed solution sounds fine. There are many ways you could make the indoor part elegant, if you were inclined to do that.

You got me thinking.... my garage/workshop has no plumbing. It also has brick walls up to about 3 1/2 feet above the floor and I'd rather not drill through the brick.. It would be interesting....

I bought my farm long before zoning, but after the modern septic rules. I can continue to use facilites that existed before the modern rules., which is why I have so carefully maintained the old old house. It may not get used for six months at a time, but it is there about 100 ft from the barn which is three hundred feet from the house. There is also a septic tank and field from the 1970's near the barn. It hasn't been used since the late 1990's, but it was approved years ago. If the barn grew a small bathroom inside, the authorities have to prove when and how, to make their case. IIRC the fine here can be as much as $2,500 per day for illegally connecting or using an illegal system. But, I know for a fact that the township records were lost in a fire a 8 years ago. The current septic enforcement officer is a decent guy, the old one was one of those tyrants who exceeded the level of his competence. He would intentionally lie to people about what was required so his fees would be higher. He was replaced after being hauled off to an institution for some irrational things he did during a divorce. Anyway, it is up to you to determine the chances of being caught vs the costs of going legitimately. The costs here, require a permit, an engineer design plan, approval of that plan by the municipality and then inspections and additional fees for a final connection permit. You'd easily be looking at $500 just for administrative fees for a urinal with a holding tank.

Blog Entries
    An empty coffee can with plastic lid works.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    An empty coffee can with plastic lid works.
    Or a 5 gallon bucket half full of kitty litter. Or even sawdust. Should have some of that around.

Regarding the "waterless" urinals, in a previous life I was a facilities manager. Those things were a big deal in the 90s until people got a few years experience with them. They have to be cleaned and maintained rigorously, and still get pretty nasty. I haven't seen one in years although they are probably still around.
    Last edited by Dave Cav; 12-12-2018 at 2:03 PM.

"In the bamboo hedge behind the garage". The dogs follow me out and we all mark our territory.

Erik

Living in the middle of a pine forest, every tree needs regular marking, and I do my part. I can't see going into house to dispose of a pint of urine with 1.28 gallons of water. Waterless systems are used in environmentally sensitive areas. On I-64, east of Richmond is a rest stop that is in the middle of a swamp, so all waste has to be trucked out, which makes sense. Mineral oil is used to carry waste from fixtures to holding basins, then solids and water are removed from bottom, with oil skimmed off top to be reused