Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paint shelf 60" span...best methods for support?

If he’s only storing one can deep, why not make the shelf depth 1 can deep?

I also agree with the statements about code/safety/insurance. If he’s doing it for a living, he’s getting paid and is he reporting to the tax man? He should also be insured and doing things the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    The sagulator is your friend here.
    Attachment 398547
    A 12 x 60 x 3/4" red oak shelf will only sag 0.09 inches fully loaded with 10 cans of paint weighing 12 pounds each.
    Interesting. Be sure to read the notes, for example "The Sagulator computes initial sag only. As an engineering rule of thumb, wood beams/shelves will sag an additional 50% over time beyond the initial deflection."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Interesting. Be sure to read the notes, for example "The Sagulator computes initial sag only. As an engineering rule of thumb, wood beams/shelves will sag an additional 50% over time beyond the initial deflection."
    I agree, but 50% of .09" is pretty small. Add a 1 x 3/4 stiffener along the bottom and you get almost zero sag.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute