Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint shelf 60" span...best methods for support?

Paint shelf 60" span...best methods for support?

My son does hand painted signs for a living. He requested a paint shelf for his shop. It will have two shelves and the entire unit will measure approximate 24"(h) x 12"(d) x 60"(w). He'll put mostly gallons and quarts of paint on it so I think it needs some mid-span support. I'll be building it probably with some 3/4" pine plywood I have on hand from the big orange store. What ways would you guys recommend for getting that mid-shelf support? Thanks!

Doesn't he need a hazardous material cabinet to store paint in a commercial business? My insurance company wanted that when I was in business.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Doesn't he need a hazardous material cabinet to store paint in a commercial business? My insurance company wanted that when I was in business.
    OMG! Jeez, probably but I'll bet he doesn't know and I sure don't. He had been doing his work out of his 2-car garage/shop but just leased some space for his shop. I'll mention it to him. He has a mentor who is the top guy in the area and has been doing it since the 60s. He can find out if he ever stored his paint in a hazardous materials cabinet. Thanks.

I haven't got my license yet to breathe air. Sure hope they don't catch me! ;-)

PS I know he doesn't have insurance.

If he's only using water borne products, a shelf is likely sufficient. But if he's using oil based products and in commercial space, he's likely going to need specified provisions for storing flammable materials.

To your specific question...oh, yea...finish is heavy. I'd have at least two supports interior to that span for this application. I typically use the heavy Stirling shelf system (available through Lee Valley for sure and I think Woodcraft...HD no longer carries it) for these kinds of things with the rails on 16" centers.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I stored gallon cans of finish on simple 3/4"plywood shelves for years. They were simply glued and screwed to the back and sides. The units 48x96x12 and stayed loaded with paint cans. Of course, there was some obvious sag, but nothing I ever felt was remotely nonfunctional.

I build two-shelf shelves like that for my shop with 3/4" pine. I put vertical pieces on each end and in the middle as needed to build sort of a cabinet. Each vertical is screwed and glued to the upper and lower shelves, in a dado if I'm not feeling lazy. The resulting open-backed box is quite strong. I fasten the box to the wall with several small brackets I make from aluminum angle with holes for screws. I put a few of these under the lower shelf and some on the vertical pieces near the tops.

JKJ

I would use angle iron front and back with the pine sitting down inside the angle. A few screw holes in each end to anchor the iron to a vertical support.
    Bil lD.

Once the city finds about his business location move, the fire marshall shows up. Between the fire marshall and the insurance agent, one of them will certainly explain the law. Could even mean a paint booth. Owning a small business is not easy! If it was, everyone would do it.

Old refrigerators make good paint lockers. Somewhat fireproof, adjustable shelves. The light might even work. If freezing paint is a problem wire it so the light stays on all winter. Also keeps welding rod from getting damp.
    Bill D.

Blog Entries
    If it’s completely utilitarian, and no woodworking accomplishment, and assuming it’ll against a wall, why not use these things from HD for $1-2 each?
    799B48EC-9DFB-4F61-873B-99767238F633.jpg

Sorry, photo is sidesways

_rotate.jpg

(JKJ EDIT: rotate photo)
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 12-12-2018 at 7:32 AM.

12" deep is probably not optimal. Will he store one can deep or two?

Blog Entries
    The sagulator is your friend here.
    Capture.JPG
    A 12 x 60 x 3/4" red oak shelf will only sag 0.09 inches fully loaded with 10 cans of paint weighing 12 pounds each.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    The sagulator is your friend here.
    Capture.JPG
    A 12 x 60 x 3/4" red oak shelf will only sag 0.09 inches fully loaded with 10 cans of paint weighing 12 pounds each.

Thats brilliant. Thanks Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    12" deep is probably not optimal. Will he store one can deep or two?
    Tom,
    I'm not sure. I'm going to check out his new shop today. I'd guess 1 deep with gallons, more with quarts.

Quote Originally Posted by Zac wingert View Post
    If it’s completely utilitarian, and no woodworking accomplishment, and assuming it’ll against a wall, why not use these things from HD for $1-2 each? ...

_rotate.jpg

(JKJ EDIT: rotate photo)
    Zac,
    It will not be against a wall. So I'll be putting a back on the shelf.