Thread: Clamping compound miter joint cove moulding

Clamping compound miter joint cove moulding

Working on cove moulding and looking to clamp a compound miter joint. Are spring miter clamps the best method?IMG_7089 copy.jpgIMG_7094 copy.jpg

They would work. You might have to glue on two blocks to hold the clamps ;you can put brown paper under them to make sure you don't damage the face of the wood.

Mark, Can you clamp the pieces to the cabinet so as to hold the corner tight while the glue cures? Also, I've used a brad or two as clamps in that situation. Blue tape requires some faith because you cannot see how tightly the joint closed, but it works well.

The spring miter clamps will work, but could leave dents where the points grab the wood. As Mel suggests, you could clamp blocks on both sides and clamp into those.

My favorite these days for all kinds of miter glueing is Scotch 233+ tape. It stretches. If it were me, I’d probably apply several pieces of tape to one side, apply the glue, close it up, stretch the tape around and register the inside against a known 90 degree square. Hold by hand until the glue sets...probably a minute or two. If I release hand pressure and anything moves, I know I haven’t held long enough and so hold it some more.

5. Cove molding or crown molding? Although technique is the same.

I use glue, tape and headless pins most of the time.

Thank you all for the advice!