Thread: I just receive a phone call from someone claiming to be Microsoft,

Blog Entries

I just receive a phone call from someone claiming to be Microsoft,

The following is from the Microsoft web page.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-support-scams

Blog Entries
    This is easy for me since my computer doesn't have anything from Microsoft installed.

Just for fun my usual routine is to give these idiots a bit of chain yanking.

Sometimes when they mention windows my reply is to tell them my windows were washed just last week and they are still clean.

Make them hate what they are doing and maybe they will stop doing it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I know this is not a Microsoft but I just received a call from the justice department saying that I had to call them back with my SS number to confirm it was me or I would be arrested for failure to show up before the judge Magistrate but they also hoped everything would work out. My wife and I just laughed and asked what did we do.

I get those too several times a yr..It is a scam i'm sure.Microsoft isnt going to call you

Heck, I cannot go a week without a nice lady calling to tell me there is no problem with my credit card account.

My daughters mother in law recently died, and we got a call yesterday from someone wanting to discuss our 'financial situation' having to do with her estate. Of course we have no 'situation' one way or another with her estate.

Fishing the obits, probably.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Abbot and Costello buy a computer...
    http://davidvanalstyne.com/pg-abbottcostellomac.html

Sounds like the scam call my father in law got, saying that my wife and her brother were in an accident in Singapore and needed money sent right away. Considering my brother-in-law was in the room with them at the time, it was just comical. My wife got a kick out of it too.

I must live a charmed life. I never get the calls. If I don't recognize the number I don't answer it. If they don't leave a message I don't return the call.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I must live a charmed life. I never get the calls. If I don't recognize the number I don't answer it. If they don't leave a message I don't return the call.
    Hey Bruce, we are on the same page. (ha) If the call comes without a name from my phone's address book (and I'm not waiting for a call) it goes to voice mail. If no message, no loss. The credit card girl never leaves a message.

There is no law that requires me to answer the phone.

JKJ

I've been getting a lot of calls from the same first six digits as my cell number. Other than those I don't get many spam calls. NoMoRobo on the land line, SWMBO would not hear of getting rid of the land line.

I don't answer the phone unless it's someone I already know, and the name shows up at the ring. I also don't use voice mail, or any kind of recording. I even keep the ringer turned off on my phone. If it's my Wife calling, I note what time it is, because that will be the stop work time for the day, since it would be some kind of emergency.

Blog Entries
    Heck, I cannot go a week without a nice lady calling to tell me there is no problem with my credit card account.
    We do not have a credit balance. For some reason this idiot will not stop calling.

Sounds like the scam call my father in law got, saying that my wife and her brother were in an accident in Singapore and needed money sent right away.
    We got one from my grandson one day. He was supposedly at a wedding with a story about how he lost his luggage with his ticket. At the time my oldest grandson was only 14 or 15. He has an odd middle name. So during the chit chat portion of the conversation, just for fun, my conversation went into his grandma didn't agree with me how his middle name is pronounced. He tried to get around it but then got rather upset and hung up on me.

First rule of calling grandpa for money, don't start cussing at him. Second rule of calling grandpa for money know your own middle name.

My mistake was to not think of having a lot of grandsons and asking which one to send the money. "Ah gee grandpa, the guy who took my wallet hit me on the head and my memory has been affected."

"is my number tattooed on your arm?"

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    We do not have a credit balance. For some reason this idiot will not stop calling.
    That's because they have no idea if you even have a credit card. It's a random dialer (which is illegal) and they are phishing/scamming. The reason these things "work" to the scammer's benefit is because so many folks don't understand that no bank, no government entity, nobody at Microsoft, etc, are ever going to call you about the things they are calling you about.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don't turn my phone on unless I need to use it. Check my voice mail about twice a week. As a result, I only have to charge the phone a couple times a year.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I've been getting a lot of calls from the same first six digits as my cell number. Other than those I don't get many spam calls. NoMoRobo on the land line, SWMBO would not hear of getting rid of the land line.
    Well, there was a stretch of about five days last week when I got 6-8 calls each day...from myself. (The really odd bit is that the talking caller ID on that phone does a better job with my last name than most humans.)

That's not the kind of thing NoMoRobo is set up to handle, but luckily the phone itself has a call-block feature. But it just felt odd to block calls from my own phone.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.