Thread: Tung Oil on Cherry

Tung Oil on Cherry

It is my understanding that over time the color will age to a nice reddish brown. Does this occur over many years or is it fairly rapid.

The speed at which cherry wood darkens is dependent upon its exposure to light. You can tell the difference in a few days if you put newly cut cherry heart wood in a sunny South facing window. This will happen whether it has tung oil on it or not. Tung oil will also darken cherry but the same is true of most other finishes.

Larry, its my experience (and what I've read many times) that there is significant change in color in the first couple of weeks, and then it continues to get darker, but much more slowly. I think its oxygen exposure not just light.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Larry, its my experience (and what I've read many times) that there is significant change in color in the first couple of weeks, and then it continues to get darker, but much more slowly. I think its oxygen exposure not just light.
    Yes, I can already see change after only one day.

Here is an example of a cherry box that I darkened in direct sunlight for a few weeks. I know from experience that if I had left it in the shade, it would have darkened very little in that amount of time. I have done a bunch of these the same way. I don't doubt that oxidation (or something like it) also darkens wood as I have carved a lot of plaques out of cherry and and they darkened, but slowly. The one below took about a year to get this dark due to its location.

DSC_0005.jpg

IMG_0682.jpg

It is easy enough to try it. See for yourself.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 12-12-2018 at 6:04 PM.

Art, I love the plaque.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

For new furniture pieces, keep in mind that items placed on top should be moved frequently to prevent very obvious shadowing. This makes me think that light and not oxygen is the reason that cherry darkens with time.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!