Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: OMGA questions

Malcolm, that's actually appropriate when you look at the cost of these puppies, especially the bigger ones!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I WANT ONE!

The boss not so much as it will also require another three phase line be run. Wish I was a electrician also..

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Malcolm, that's actually appropriate when you look at the cost of these puppies, especially the bigger ones!
    Except they're the cheapest chop box made.

Up until the new shop, I had one cut off station, so one saw did virtually all hardwood cross cutting that would fit. Even before things really started taking off, a normal dewalt/Milwaukee/Makita/etcetera style chop saw would make it a bit more than a year. Never mind the cost of the saw, the real expense comes at fighting sub par results.

I agree about the real cost being fighting sub par results.

Yesterday I had to apply a simple base wrap on a large entertainment center we just finished building. The unit is like 127” long or something like that. So the front base had to be mitered on both sides. With the slider down for the count sadly at the time and actually still with regard to the bevel I had no choice but to use the 12” dewalt scms stations. I had to work the usual magic required to get a 12” saw cutting square and at a perfect 45%..

Big waste of the bosses $$. In his defense one guy can only purchase so many new tools so fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Except they're the cheapest chop box made.

Up until the new shop, I had one cut off station, so one saw did virtually all hardwood cross cutting that would fit. Even before things really started taking off, a normal dewalt/Milwaukee/Makita/etcetera style chop saw would make it a bit more than a year. Never mind the cost of the saw, the real expense comes at fighting sub par results.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    In his defense one guy can only purchase so many new tools so fast.
    I dumped $160,000 back into the business in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    How does the Unipoint compare to the Omga RAS in build and design ? Dave
    It doesn't. Nothing out there like a unipoint.

All the omga RAS I assembled were long arms. The legs and frame were thin, the upper part has so much plastic on it, they were just not that impressive. Of course the price of an Omga is no where near the price of a unipoint.

Jesus,

I’d say I wanna work for you, but working for my boss is really really really good for me even despite the hours I put in.

I guess it’s pretty easy to spend $160 on a CNC in one go so demdinging that either a lot or nothing. Sadly the work we do just does not generate the kind of revenue to warrant or justify suck expenditures. It’s good enough to keep me fro starving and able to have the things I want if I’m willing to work for them.

So what did you buy?

I dumped $160,000 back into the business in 2018.

So what did you buy?
    Off the top of my head

Moulder $12.5k
    Door clamp $23.5k
    2 castle machines $7300
    Weeke cnc $48k
    Software $5300
    Lipping planer $1800
    Deros sanders $1900
    Land plane $1k
    About a dozen nail guns $2600?
    7.5hp cyclone $5500
    Pickup $63k. If you don't think that qualifies, I wouldn't own a pickup if it weren't for the shop.

Plus whatever else I can't think of for little stuff. I know I've blown at least a grand on tooling for the router so far. $1600 for a tech to do start up, $6300 for a rigger to move it.

Who knows what I've spent on heads blades and bits.

It's been an expensive year.

Yikes,

You must need the stuff, hence have the work.

That’s a great thing.

I can still remeber the last time the bottom fell out. I was doing residential construction. It hurt!

Off the top of my head

Moulder $12.5k
    Door clamp $23.5k
    2 castle machines $7300
    Weeke cnc $48k
    Software $5300
    Lipping planer $1800
    Deros sanders $1900
    Land plane $1k
    About a dozen nail guns $2600?
    7.5hp cyclone $5500
    Pickup $63k. If you don't think that qualifies, I wouldn't own a pickup if it weren't for the shop.

Plus whatever else I can't think of for little stuff. I know I've blown at least a grand on tooling for the router so far. $1600 for a tech to do start up, $6300 for a rigger to move it.

Who knows what I've spent on heads blades and bits.

It's been an expensive year.

Yikes,

You must need the stuff, hence have the work.

That’s a great thing.

I can still remeber the last time the bottom fell out. I was doing residential construction. It hurt!

My shop running at full tilt can crank. We're a little slow right now, but by mid January we should be right back where we belong, 2-3 weeks behind.

I've always played it REALLY safe. I borrowed about half that and burned cash on the other half. I hate borrowing money.

I'm taking a risk and putting some other plans on hold briefly. The biggest one being paying off my building a year sooner. Next year is recovery mode, building up capital again and putting myself back in the safe zone financially. Both the business and the me personally. We're courting a couple of new builders that look promising so I don't have so many eggs in one basket.

I didn't want to buy a new pickup, but my old one was falling apart.

A cabinet shop is constantly a "chicken and egg" problem. You need the equipment and personnel to do the work, but you need the work to pay for the equipment and personnel.... I live pretty modestly and don't pull much out to pay for equipment. So far it's worked well, hoping in a year or two to start yanking some money out so I can maybe retire in 40 years.... Once the building is paid off, I'll go borrow another half million and put up another building for a rental.

2019 better be good it you'll see me as a greeter at Wal-Mart.

I wouldn't own a car, trucks are like pockets on Tshirts.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I wouldn't own a car, trucks are like pockets on Tshirts.
    I hate the cost, the operational cost, the maintenance, everything except being able to haul and tow whatever I need to

I hate the cost, the operational cost, the maintenance, everything except being able to haul and tow whatever I need to
    If it's got t**'s or tires, nothing but money and problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    If it's got t**'s or tires, nothing but money and problems.
    My truck has been fine, but the other one I have problems with..........

For those with an OMGA and a slider, how are you splitting the cutting duties between them? Face frame and door parts, shop installed trim, etc.?