Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: OMGA questions

Brand new Omga radial arm on CL Wisconsin. Dave

Blog Entries
    Thanks David, I’ll email him for the dimensions.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Brand new Omga radial arm on CL Wisconsin. Dave
    I saw that one. Almost made him an offer. I thought about passing it along but figured the distance to be too great for Brian.

Another nice thing on the omga chop saw is you can pop spring in the trigger out, changing it from a momentary switch to an on/off switch. I get real tired out holding that switch when doing a lot of cutting.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    I saw that one. Almost made him an offer. I thought about passing it along but figured the distance to be too great for Brian.

Another nice thing on the omga chop saw is you can pop spring in the trigger out, changing it from a momentary switch to an on/off switch. I get real tired out holding that switch when doing a lot of cutting.
    Yup, turn it on and leave it on.

Quote Originally Posted by James Biddle View Post
    That's a great setup! Our sticking point is what do do for breaking down wider boards for processing. We hate the thought of using a slider on rough wood and don't have the space for a RAS.
    It's difficult to see, but there's a Dewalt chopsaw stored below. I pull it out and put it on the floor to do rough cross cuts. I was going to sell the Dewalt but it's still useful

Blog Entries
    I think I’m going to stick to the chopsaw, I’ll leave the kapex for the wider stuff and have the Omga for accurate tenons and so forth. Then sell off the kapex when I can genuinely replace its purpose.

I was close to pulling the trigger on a used OMGA RAS, but passed only because of three phase. Their saws are as good as you can buy. I had a nice chat with an OMGA tech support person about their saws and a single phase version (I was considering buying a new single phase motor from them). He recommended not swapping motors as their single phase motors aren't as durable as their three phase. I was a little taken back by his comment and told him so. He explained that their saws are meant to run accurately 8 hours a day. He used RV manufacturers near them in Indiana as an example; they run OMGA saws all day long and only stop when their shift ends. Had I three phase in my shop, I'd own one (there isn't three phase in the street running by my shop).

Jeff, it's pretty easy to do 3-phase for a specific tool these days from single phase in case another one of those beasts comes up available...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Jeff, it's pretty easy to do 3-phase for a specific tool these days from single phase in case another one of those beasts comes up available...
    I've two three phase machines in my shop, each with a VFD. I ended up with an early 80's vintage Delta 12" RAS, which is why I stopped pursuing an OMGA. The Delta is a nice machine, but no OMGA. If a good deal came up for an OMGA, I'd consider upgrading and dealing with phase conversion Thanks, Jim.

I have assembled several brand new Omga RAS, I was not terribly impressed by them.

How does the Unipoint compare to the Omga RAS in build and design ? Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Why?

extra characters
    Bowed and twisted boards, dirt and grit in the wood...stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by James Biddle View Post
    Bowed and twisted boards, dirt and grit in the wood...stuff like that.
    We use a skil saw with a gnarly course blade and the tines of the forklift in that scenario then. Wack it to rough length, then start machining.

If we get dirty lumber somebody is getting yelled at on the phone. Knife sharpening/replacement isn't free.

Blog Entries
    I’m used to sawing the last 2” off, but once in a while I’ll find the tips of a staple dug in to the side of the board 6” along. More often my planer finds it.

Three yards I deal with are staple free, but two others have them in certain species they sell.

I buy rough saw most often so I keep a stiff brush for cleaning off dust before I start machining.

Blog Entries
    I really don't want to be off-topic, but every time I see this thread, I read "OMGA" as "Oh My God, Ay"

Sorry, back to topic-