Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: OMGA questions

Blog Entries

OMGA questions

Looking into OMGA saws, and I'm wondering what the capability is of these saws in terms of their accuracy. Is the finished cut very precise?

I'm using the Kapex now and when it is used for carpentry type work it is pretty spot on, but in heavier woods it will leave a slight convexity to the cut along z-axis. I assume it is not quite rigid enough for crosscutting thick hardwoods.

The downside to the OMGA is a limitation in capacity but anymore I'm starting to feel that this is a sacrifice worth making and that larger surfaces will simply have to be cut using something else.

I'm looking at the belt drive saws used and waiting on a deal or if I buy new it will be one of the direct drive saws, likely the IP300
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I have the kapex and a 6 year old omga saw. 3 phase. Forget the model. They are completely different machines. The omga leaves an absolutely perfect edge. The Festool is a great saw too, but nothing like my omga saw. I use the Festool for site work mostly since getting the beast.

Blog Entries
    Thank you, Sam!

Brian!

I thought no more new machines.

This is a sickness. For me the sickness is a complete lack of patients and or accepting anything less than perfection in a machine or the work I make.

So what are you gonna paint it midnight blue gray and green and hope the wife thinks it’s a kapex

Blog Entries
    Haha, that is a good strategy! Try as I might, I just can't help but look to see what's out there.

Patrick, there's not a tool in Brian's arsenal that isn't top-notch....at least that I saw when I visited him not long ago. He has very good taste in tools!

Brian, that thing you ask about seems to be a beast...nice that it has an induction motor, too. Less of a screamer perhaps?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I know of a guy up in Connecticut with one of every Omga looking to sell.

Only problem is he is not coming even close to giving them away. He is looking to sell his whole shop, everything is top notch but his used prices are very high. If you want his contact info I would pass it along.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Haha, that is a good strategy! Try as I might, I just can't help but look to see what's out there.

I just sold mine a couple months ago! Just didn't get enough use in my shop so I reluctantly ended up moving it on. I had the 14" version and it's a tank! Very accurate, very heavy, and very powerful. They are fairly easily repairable if you do something bad to it, unlike the lighter duty saws on the market. And the one time I needed parts the people at Omga were very pleasant to deal with. Also worth noting is that the way they're built they are also easy to adjust for square. Can't say anything bad about them.....except that moving them is a pain in the back!

good luck,
    JeffD

The Festool is a light duty install saw.

The omga is a saw.

I have four of the omga's. I don't have a kapex, though it's a nice install saw.
    I buy whatever I want, and there'sno comparison between the two.

I keep trying to convince the boss to get a omga. We use a 12” dc dewalt. It’s a freaking nightmare, you have to lean a edge, keep track of that edge, then cut to approximate length so the piece does not span both fences and cut from the same side of the fence at all times. And even then there’s no guarantee. As a result I just size everything on the slider. Sure gets scary trying to size anything under 10” on the slider without proper air clamps or jiggery.

I probably shouldn’t have addimted to what I just admitted to above on a public forum. My guess is I’m gonna be told “your gonna die”.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    The Festool is a light duty install saw.

The omga is a saw.

I have four of the omga's. I don't have a kapex, though it's a nice install saw.
    I buy whatever I want, and there'sno comparison between the two.
    I'm still kicking myself for not buying the Omga over the Kapex when you recommended me to do so about two years ago, given my intended use of mainly solid wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Patrick, there's not a tool in Brian's arsenal that isn't top-notch....at least that I saw when I visited him not long ago. He has very good taste in tools!

Brian, that thing you ask about seems to be a beast...nice that it has an induction motor, too. Less of a screamer perhaps?
    Thanks Jim! True, quieter is always nice. The Kapex isn't loud, but it's not quiet either.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    I know of a guy up in Connecticut with one of every Omga looking to sell.

Only problem is he is not coming even close to giving them away. He is looking to sell his whole shop, everything is top notch but his used prices are very high. If you want his contact info I would pass it along.
    Very much so, certainly interested to speak with him. Thank you, kindly.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    I keep trying to convince the boss to get a omga. We use a 12” dc dewalt. It’s a freaking nightmare, you have to lean a edge, keep track of that edge, then cut to approximate length so the piece does not span both fences and cut from the same side of the fence at all times. And even then there’s no guarantee. As a result I just size everything on the slider. Sure gets scary trying to size anything under 10” on the slider without proper air clamps or jiggery.

I probably shouldn’t have addimted to what I just admitted to above on a public forum. My guess is I’m gonna be told “your gonna die”.
    Sounds a bit scary! Neat things I'm seeing about the OMGA are:

- Real dust collection....with a zero clearance fence and insert the kapex does not collect dust well, that boot behind the blade just doesn't do all that much.
    - Guards behind the blade.
    - Belt drive

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Duncan View Post
    I just sold mine a couple months ago! Just didn't get enough use in my shop so I reluctantly ended up moving it on. I had the 14" version and it's a tank! Very accurate, very heavy, and very powerful. They are fairly easily repairable if you do something bad to it, unlike the lighter duty saws on the market. And the one time I needed parts the people at Omga were very pleasant to deal with. Also worth noting is that the way they're built they are also easy to adjust for square. Can't say anything bad about them.....except that moving them is a pain in the back!

good luck,
    JeffD
    Awesome, appreciate the sound of that. I've come to appreciate cast iron quite a bit.

Patrick, that is a nightmare. Any “tool” like that, is not really a tool at all.
    It is a LIABILITY to good and accurate work, and to the business owner’s bottom line. Especially a tool as cheap as that.
    We do one of 2 things with that quality of a tool- framing, or dumpster filler.

Tools are designed to aid us in the pursuit of good and accurate results, not hinder us.

We size all our parts on the slider. Occasionally, I wish we had the Omga style machine, but not enough yet to pony up....

Brian,

What about a RAS? They're greedy for space but can be found for short money.

Full disclosure: I have very little experience with them but a big mill shop near has a big set up with two mounted about 10' apart. Dust collection seems great with those too.

The Northfield Unipoint is the one I dream about.....

I can’t imagine you being happy with anything less than the 255lb T53 370. Nothing like an accurate compound miter cut in 16/4 lumber...now that would be cool.