Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: OMGA questions

Keep an eye on Craigslist. I found one of mine that way. The nicest one to boot. Two I bought on eBay. One drink a local online auction site. I think the most I paid was $800, the least was $250.

I have an Omga RM700 in storage, but three phase so I just pull it out of the barn when I need it. Still, the Delta's are what I use for accurate cuts for face frames, etc. I would like to have a jump saw, but just don't have the room.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Keep an eye on Craigslist. I found one of mine that way. The nicest one to boot. Two I bought on eBay. One drink a local online auction site. I think the most I paid was $800, the least was $250.
    Will do! Craigslist has surprised me at times, I found the Maka on Craigslist.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I have an Omga RM700 in storage, but three phase so I just pull it out of the barn when I need it. Still, the Delta's are what I use for accurate cuts for face frames, etc. I would like to have a jump saw, but just don't have the room.
    Larry sounds like you need enough three phase machines to just run the converter all day.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I looked at Kapex in shop and I know my Omga is superior.

I had a T55300 before, no movement at all.
    I later upgraded to a 1990 era Omga twin mitre saw. absolute perfect cut and no movement at all.

Omga is industrial, the twin mitre saw is like $25,000 USD.

once you have used an Omga, you will not want to use any other mitre/compound saw ever again.

Lol, saw that Double Mitre Chop . Seems like it should have a conveyor belt so a person isnt even really needed to load anything into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Lee View Post
    I looked at Kapex in shop and I know my Omga is superior.

I had a T55300 before, no movement at all.
    I later upgraded to a 1990 era Omga twin mitre saw. absolute perfect cut and no movement at all.

Omga is industrial, the twin mitre saw is like $25,000 USD.

once you have used an Omga, you will not want to use any other mitre/compound saw ever again.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Lee View Post
    That sums up my feeling pretty well.

Another nice thing it's they can be switched over to 480v, I've got three on one 15amp circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post

I'm using the Kapex now and when it is used for carpentry type work it is pretty spot on, but in heavier woods it will leave a slight convexity to the cut along z-axis. I assume it is not quite rigid enough for crosscutting thick hardwoods.
    So it is just not me with this problem...
    Carpe Lignum

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    That sums up my feeling pretty well.

Another nice thing it's they can be switched over to 480v, I've got three on one 15amp circuit.
    480v power is a wonderful thing.

Here's a couple of pictures of a OMGA 1P300 I found on craigslist. I just built the chopsaw bench with a ZCI and two 4' fences using some metric extrusions. I still have to add a scale and a flip stop. It does a really nice job of cutting hardwoods (hard Maple, Cherry, etc.), but as pointed out, its biggest limitation is the 5.75" crosscut maximum.

And I was thinking I made a mistake and should have purchased a Kapex!

P1020027.jpgP1020028.jpg

Blog Entries
    The creek is a great place to learn about tools you didn’t know existed and figuring out how to squander money you don’t have. I am looking for a new miter saw. I have a hitachi that I got for $90 on amazon that has served me well, but I have been thinking about upgrading. Everything else look like toys compared to these. What to do..

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Might be a good way to go, I'll plan out the space and see if I can fit a radial arm saw, might be a better choice.

Wish I could fit this, will cut 42-3/4" x 6-7/8"......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Omga-1100-7...DCdy:rk:8:pf:0
    I want one of the giant OMGA RAS in the worst way. I say the worst way because I don't need one, I just want one. "Fortunately" every time I start thinking seriously about one (usually after looking at them at IWF or AWFS) I come to my senses and use the money to buy another bandsaw somehow that seems sane to me.

The OMGA stuff is built extremely well and if I ever need a precision shop saw that will be the choice, and while I do have a fetish for the OMGA RAS if I got really serious about one I would look for a Northfield Unipoint instead.

unipoint.gif
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

While we are on the subject... here is a clip of my double mitre saw cutting a 2x2. First or second cut after I got the machine so obviously the head speed can be adjusted.

https://youtu.be/LHsbzzzZhqo

Blog Entries
    Thanks gents, very much appreciating the input.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Yamamoto View Post
    Here's a couple of pictures of a OMGA 1P300 I found on craigslist. I just built the chopsaw bench with a ZCI and two 4' fences using some metric extrusions. I still have to add a scale and a flip stop. It does a really nice job of cutting hardwoods (hard Maple, Cherry, etc.), but as pointed out, its biggest limitation is the 5.75" crosscut maximum.

And I was thinking I made a mistake and should have purchased a Kapex!

P1020027.jpgP1020028.jpg
    That's a great setup! Our sticking point is what do do for breaking down wider boards for processing. We hate the thought of using a slider on rough wood and don't have the space for a RAS.

Quote Originally Posted by James Biddle View Post
    We hate the thought of using a slider on rough wood

Why?

extra characters