Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: OMGA questions

I had an OMGA at my old shop, but at the new one I have to run a converter and it was inconvenient to switch on the converter so I sold it. I use a Old Delta 34-080 now, and once tweaked it cuts just as good as the OMGA. It is unique in that the blade is bolted to a jackshaft that is about 8" between the bearing, very heavy cast iron. I'm not sure an OMGA is worth what they cost?

Brian,

I have an old Delta also. Mine's a 14". Glassy cuts. I paid $300. and it came with a blade worth most of that.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    Brian,

What about a RAS? They're greedy for space but can be found for short money.

Full disclosure: I have very little experience with them but a big mill shop near has a big set up with two mounted about 10' apart. Dust collection seems great with those too.

The Northfield Unipoint is the one I dream about.....
    It may fit, I have a weird alcove that I fit the saw into so a larger saw up until the space is filled is not really much more space consuming.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    I can’t imagine you being happy with anything less than the 255lb T53 370. Nothing like an accurate compound miter cut in 16/4 lumber...now that would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I had an OMGA at my old shop, but at the new one I have to run a converter and it was inconvenient to switch on the converter so I sold it. I use a Old Delta 34-080 now, and once tweaked it cuts just as good as the OMGA. It is unique in that the blade is bolted to a jackshaft that is about 8" between the bearing, very heavy cast iron. I'm not sure an OMGA is worth what they cost?
    I’m looking at used and I might just wait until a nice one pops up at auction. They’re well outside of my budget, new, in any of the large models. The smaller ones aren’t bad though and come in single phase. Actually the biggest model comes in single phase also but it is 6k.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    Brian,

I have an old Delta also. Mine's a 14". Glassy cuts. I paid $300. and it came with a blade worth most of that.
    Thanks, sounds like much old iron is going to work well also.

The kapex makes a perfect looking cut but it just isn’t flat enough to make a seamless joint. It’s frustrating to have a perfect layout and then have a gap probably .002”-.003” at the top and bottom of each joint until they’re cleaned up with a shooting board. The shooting board must also be perfect or that adds another potential variable to the mix.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Given your skills at restoring the Maka, if you can find an old 12 or 14" DeWalt that doesn't have the first six inches of the ways worn out, restoring it and putting it back to work would be a piece of cake. Ditto for a 12 or 14" Delta (I have a 70s vintage 12"). Also much cheaper. Although OMGA saws are great, too.

Blog Entries
    Might be a good way to go, I'll plan out the space and see if I can fit a radial arm saw, might be a better choice.

Wish I could fit this, will cut 42-3/4" x 6-7/8"......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Omga-1100-7...DCdy:rk:8:pf:0

No interest in a regular old table saw?

Hard to imagine reaching 42" for the handle on that OMGA radial arm saw.

I found a couple of OMGA miter saws on Craigslist for the shop I used to work for. I forget the model # but they have 14" blades, weigh a ton and cut accurately with no need for tweaking the results.

Cant even say how many times Ive thought hard about buying an Omga 1P300... Its the cut capacity that keeps killing me. I just love the cut capacity of the SCMS like the 12" Bosch Glide Ive got. That and of course the price doesnt make it easy either. I LOVE Festool and have a bunch of their tools, but wouldnt touch the Kapex until they come out with a new model with a different motor. Way too many people in the US having issues with that 120V motor for my taste.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I'm not sure where he would be able to fit it, Prashun. His big machines are crammed into a diminutive sized one-car "garage" and his shop-shop is at basement level without a whole lot of free space. (but to his credit..it has a very comfortable floor to work on. LOL) I'm almost thinking that an old-iron RAS might be a challenge for him...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Peter,

It is that’s why I don’t use it except to cut checks off my sticks before milling.

If I sent you pictures of the shop before I took the position. Man o man o man what a disaster it was. Gotta give my boss credit though as he made the business all on his own out of necessity with little prior experience.

Add to it in two years I have been with him he purched a three pack of used but very nice Scmi shaoerscwith feeders, a new Scmi widebelt, a used t73 in great shape, a Scmi line bore, a class630 24” planer and miles of duct work and electrical upgrades and my hats off to him.

Prior he was running a pile of old shakers with 1” spindles that were crap when new with clamped on fences that had to be shimmed ever direction imaginable all in need of new bearings hooked up to pretty much no dust collection. They literally just had piles and piles of chips behind them. They had ducting to them but guys would just leave them wide open sitting on the ground. It was nuts but is pretty slick now.

Brian buy the Omga cuz I’m about tapped out and can’t buy anything for the rest of the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    Patrick, that is a nightmare. Any “tool” like that, is not really a tool at all.
    It is a LIABILITY to good and accurate work, and to the business owner’s bottom line. Especially a tool as cheap as that.
    We do one of 2 things with that quality of a tool- framing, or dumpster filler.

Tools are designed to aid us in the pursuit of good and accurate results, not hinder us.

We size all our parts on the slider. Occasionally, I wish we had the Omga style machine, but not enough yet to pony up....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Not so much, I’d like an old iron slider if I had the space.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    Hard to imagine reaching 42" for the handle on that OMGA radial arm saw.

I found a couple of OMGA miter saws on Craigslist for the shop I used to work for. I forget the model # but they have 14" blades, weigh a ton and cut accurately with no need for tweaking the results.
    Pretty sure it is automatic, air operated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Cant even say how many times Ive thought hard about buying an Omga 1P300... Its the cut capacity that keeps killing me. I just love the cut capacity of the SCMS like the 12" Bosch Glide Ive got. That and of course the price doesnt make it easy either. I LOVE Festool and have a bunch of their tools, but wouldnt touch the Kapex until they come out with a new model with a different motor. Way too many people in the US having issues with that 120V motor for my taste.
    Same reason I didn’t buy it the first time around. Kapex seems like owning a boat, happiest days of owning it are the day you buy it and the day you sell it. I’ll probably keep mine for wide rough cuts or until all of the bad things I say about it are forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'm not sure where he would be able to fit it, Prashun. His big machines are crammed into a diminutive sized one-car "garage" and his shop-shop is at basement level without a whole lot of free space. (but to his credit..it has a very comfortable floor to work on. LOL) I'm almost thinking that an old-iron RAS might be a challenge for him...
    Totally, it is pretty packed. One of my fellow WW’s suggested Graule, their smaller saws seem the best of both worlds and not too space consuming. Out of my range new, but if something good and old crops up...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Peter,

It is that’s why I don’t use it except to cut checks off my sticks before milling.

If I sent you pictures of the shop before I took the position. Man o man o man what a disaster it was. Gotta give my boss credit though as he made the business all on his own out of necessity with little prior experience.

Add to it in two years I have been with him he purched a three pack of used but very nice Scmi shaoerscwith feeders, a new Scmi widebelt, a used t73 in great shape, a Scmi line bore, a class630 24” planer and miles of duct work and electrical upgrades and my hats off to him.

Prior he was running a pile of old shakers with 1” spindles that were crap when new with clamped on fences that had to be shimmed ever direction imaginable all in need of new bearings hooked up to pretty much no dust collection. They literally just had piles and piles of chips behind them. They had ducting to them but guys would just leave them wide open sitting on the ground. It was nuts but is pretty slick now.

Brian buy the Omga cuz I’m about tapped out and can’t buy anything for the rest of the winter.

Sounds good

Not much to add to my previous post except that I'm personally not a fan of the RAS for precision cuts. I also use the slider for the bulk of my finished crosscuts. Most of the rough length cuts are done on the jump saw.... with the exception of really big stuff which gets done on a 16" DeWalt RAS. Great saw, does what I need it to do, (12-16/4 stock or boards over 10" wide), but I don't use it for precision and it does take up a ton of floor space!

If you keep an eye out you can occasionally grab an Omga at auction for a pretty reasonable price.....that's how I got mine

good luck,
    JeffD

Blog Entries
    Thanks Jeff, sounds like a plan. I can wait until the right one comes up at auction.

I wish you had the space for a small EURO slider, Brian, as I think you could benefit from repeatable, precision crosscutting it offers and still get some ripping value from the same machine. How much more of the downstairs could you absorb for woodworking without having a "negative marriage event"? LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    That would be nice to have, I would enjoy having a table saw. My wife has been very clear lately about what will happen if my sofa turns into a tenoner.