Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: OMGA questions

Blog Entries
    Thanks Joe! Very much appreciate the photos. That's the first Graule I've seen detailed photos of. Chris Hall and I were talking about Graule saws not long ago (he recommended them as well). They appear to me as the ultimate choice, given that they don't consume a lot of space, they're very sturdy and have a very decent size capacity and made of cast iron.

The small saw would likely work for me, the 85N and it looks like they're made with dual voltage 230v and 400v, I assume the 230v can work on standard US electric without a transformer, so maybe it would be worth bringing a used one over from EU. Only trouble I've had in that regard, so far, is the cost of shipping and very few shippers want to deal with used equipment. If the cost of shipping could be somehow made reasonable I think that would be my plan of action.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Hi Brian,
    i would think with a transformer a Europe model could work. Don’t know if the 50hz would cause a problem.
    mine was configured for the US but it is Single phase 220. It runs a little hot and that has been my experience with single phase from Europe. I talked to Graule and they said they could supply a 3 phase 60 hertz motor for this if I ever need a new motor.

Blog Entries
    Now that you mention it, I think the single phase euro motors I have do the same. The 3 phase motors tend to remain pretty moderate in terms of temperature.

Ah, good to know that they can supply 3ph 60hz motors.

Much appreciated, that saw will make the bucket list. I try to do these acquisitions fairly slowly, but that will likely be the saw that I allow me to fully replace the function of the Kapex.

I like that Graule. A 50 hz three phase could be run off a vfd. I don't need another saw but that tempts me. Joe always has the neatest stuff. Wait until he talks about the hoffmann shaper. Dave

Blog Entries
    Thanks David, that is a very good idea.

Hofmann equipment, from what I’ve seen is just incredible. The bases are cast iron sections, that I believe bolt together. I seem to always show up to late when anything Hofmann goes up for sale.

Brian, a couple more guys and we can send Joe on a group buy when he visits shop in Europe. Container shipping is reasonable if someone has the relationships for good used stuff. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Brian, a couple more guys and we can send Joe on a group buy when he visits shop in Europe. Container shipping is reasonable if someone has the relationships for good used stuff. Dave
    Now you've done it Dave! Do you realize how many heads are spinning right now at the suggestion of a container of used euro machines!!

Better to beg forgiveness than ask permission. Dave

Oh boy,

I think I wet myself...

Blog Entries
    I like the direction this thread has gone!

I like that Graule. A 50 hz three phase could be run off a vfd. I don't need another saw but that tempts me. Joe always has the neatest stuff. Wait until he talks about the hoffmann shaper. Dave
    I was reading some of the 3 phase posts on the FOG Dave. I did not realize that a VFD will change the frequency. That would make running a Euro machine easy.

VFd can also step down voltage so if you can transform to 440 ( 480 ), you can run 380 Euro voltage or if you want to run a motor at 120 hz, in certain circumstances you can program the vfd to take the 440 input and convert to 220 @ 60 hz and 440 at 120 assuming the motor is wired at 220 @ 60hz . Dave. Dave

VFd can also step down voltage so if you can transform to 440 ( 480 ), you can run 380 Euro voltage or if you want to run a motor at 120 hz, in certain circumstances you can program the vfd to take the 440 input and convert to 220 @ 60 hz and 440 at 120 assuming the motor is wired at 220 @ 60hz . Dave. Dave
    I hadn't thought of that.

Hoffman has an importer in the US.

They have a shaper where the spindle tilts forward to something like 95º. How cool is that?! I don't know what I'd use it for, but I'd sure like one.

I'm guessing the price of entry might turn my stomach though.

I pricedout and almost purchased one of theirs shapers when I purchased my jointer.

I think like 9-12hp tilting one way spindle. Side mount sliding table, and digital up down and tilt of spindle. I think it was like $43k or something like that.

I don’t like the the side mount sliding table they use so I hesitated while I wrapped my head around what I really want vrs want and can afford. I’m pretty much decided on a brand new t12 with side mount tenon table. I give up the tilt function but I’ll just get a older Machine with the tilt function.

I’ll say this I was pretty sold on the Hoffman jointer with extended infeed and out feed table till I figured out I couldn’t fit it in the freight elevator at work. I also figured resale of Martin is way better.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I like the direction this thread has gone!
    Reasonable price for a compact footprint and impressive capacity.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wadkin-CD...edirect=mobile

B