Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waste disposal for urban woodworkers

Waste disposal for urban woodworkers

I'm on the hook for a local move next year from my 0.4 acre suburban lot to a pseudo-urban development with postage stamp lots. I currently dispose of my shavings, dust, and excess scraps by either burning in the fire pit or tossing in the compost bin. Pretty sure there will be space for neither at the new place. How do you urban woodworkers handle waste?

I live in a small town, 14,000 people, but with a standard quarter acre lot. I generate a lot of waste, 10-15 boxes per year, and I give them to friends who live in the country and have wood-burning heating outfits.

I used to advertise mine on craigslist or the local equivalent. Some people use it for fuel or pet bedding.

I am a hobbyist and my residential waste disposal take my sawdust and scrap (scrap must be 4 ft long or shorter).
    Last edited by George Bokros; 12-11-2018 at 11:11 AM.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Use it to start my charcoal, kindling for my fireplace, or just burn it in my fire pit in the back yard (or the neighbor’s).

Blog Entries
    Local biodigester used the planer shavings to aureate their compost.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Do they paint or gild their compost? Or do you want to blame your spell checker?

aureate

adjective

1 Made of or having the colour of gold.

Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    Do they paint or gild their compost? Or do you want to blame your spell checker?

aureate

adjective

1 Made of or having the colour of gold.
    I don't think it was a mistake. Everything that man touches is gold.

Blog Entries
    Hah, Thank Apple for that one
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Green barrel for saw dust. Scrap goes to work for folks who camp or have fire pits.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I used to live in the city on a 40' x 140' lot. Sawdust and shavings got put into a construction trash bag and put next to the garbage can and was picked up by the trash people. Solid scrap got burned in my little outdoor fireplace. Plywood and treated wood got cut down to fit the trash can. If I had a large load of trash from remodeling, Mpls had a waste transfer station for residents that I would use. Solvents and paint went to the county hazardous waste facility.

I'm on a 2.5 acre lot at the end of suburbia/beginning of rural now and disposing of woodworking waste isn't much different, other than the dust and shavings get composted and the solids go in the wood stove in the shop or fire ring.

If I'm sure my shavings are uncontaminated I put them in the yard trim recycling. Otherwise, those and solid pieces typically go in the trash.

A note about pet bedding because someone brought it up - you have to be really careful because there are a lot of species of wood that are actually toxic to small animals when used as bedding in cages.

Walnut shavings are toxic for horses. Like others have said, be very careful if giving away sawdust or shavings for bedding.

I put my shavings in garbage bags and take them to my local UPS store. The manager there loves the shavings as packing material.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Jungblut View Post
    I put my shavings in garbage bags and take them to my local UPS store. The manager there loves the shavings as packing material.
    Also known as "excelsior".