Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Waste disposal for urban woodworkers

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    Also known as "excelsior".
    Back in the day before packing peanuts just about everything was shipped in excelsior.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Our recycler will not accept sawdust in the bio-waste bin. All shop debris goes in the household waste bin, except hardwoods, which go into the fireplace.

Sawdust is not good for a compost heap unless accompanied by a significant amount of, I believe, lime.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Jungblut View Post
    I put my shavings in garbage bags and take them to my local UPS store. The manager there loves the shavings as packing material.
    Unbelievable...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Back in the day before packing peanuts just about everything was shipped in excelsior.

jtk
    I learn so many things from this forum

I give away my cuttoff scrap to a friend who uses it when camping. My shaving and sanding dust goes into the green waste recycle bin. They put all the green waste through a grinder at the recycle place anyway so it all comes out as mulch.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    Do they paint or gild their compost? Or do you want to blame your spell checker?

aureate

adjective

1 Made of or having the colour of gold.
    I'd better not tell our local sell us yard waste/buy our compost company, or they'll want to start doing it, too.
    Grabngrow ad.jpg
    I've even got the brand name for them: Sonoma Gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Jungblut View Post
    I put my shavings in garbage bags and take them to my local UPS store. The manager there loves the shavings as packing material.
    There's always the New York solution: put the offcuts and shavings in a box, wrap it up like a present, and leave it in your unlocked car downtown for someone to steal.

Useful for zucchini, too, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Cannon View Post
    Sawdust is not good for a compost heap unless accompanied by a significant amount of, I believe, lime.
    Sawdust/shavings will pull the nitrogen out of it. The gardening and permie sites have lots of details on how to offset the nitrogen issue; lime may or may not do it depending on the overall chemistry of the compost. Lime is usually more for reducing acidity in soil.

I've given bags of planer shavings to the local animal rescue place. Only cherry, oak or SPF though. Walnut or unknown get a bag change and that goes into the trash.

Just realized how fortunate I am to live in the country. Shavings and sawdust in the manure spreader or horse stall depending on species. Solid wood in the wood furnace. Everything else to residential waste pickup. My lumber is all rough sawn that I log and mill so lots of shavings.

Put all the shavings in an Amazon shipping box with address label showing, tape it up and leave it on your front porch. Depending on your neighborhood, it will be stolen by "porch pirates" before the end of the day.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Mine go into a 30 gal. trash can...when that gets full....it goes outside to the firepit ( and I live almost in the center of town)....if anyone complains..I can set a grill grate over the fire, and roast hotdogs. We have times that burning isn't allowed, but, after 6:30pm...burning is legal to do. Usually empty the trashcan from the shop after each project is completed....

I put the sawdust and floor sweepings into black trash bags. Scraps I will saw into arm length pieces and toss them in there. My trash service has a truck that has arms to empty the bins so they have no idea how heavy it is. Im a hobbyiest so at worst it takes me 2-3 weeks to rid myself of scraps by spreading them out