Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clear Vue CV1800 Overfill of bin

Clear Vue CV1800 Overfill of bin

Has anyone else done this...and then filled up your filters? It is not a forgettable moment.

What process has anyone done that can get the filters clean? I blew on them with compressed air for 45 min. and still was getting some dust.

Thanks!

I did it with my oneida mini gorilla. It sucked. The best tip I got for cleaning the filter was to take it outside and have at it with the leaf blower. Made short work of it, and I have not failed to watch the bin again! Not doing that cleanup again.

Welcome to the club John😁! I have dismantled the system as William suggests and I also tapped the side of of each filter and inserted the shop vacuum cleaner hose inside the filter. Good luck!

I don't own a Clearvue but, own an Oneida with a HEPA filter. If you use a leaf blower be careful. A leaf blower blows air with quite a bit of force and, I think, could damage the filter. I would recommend blowing the air parallel to the pleats through the inside of the filter and at a lower speed rather than blowing perpendicular to the pleats.

Quote Originally Posted by John F. Gates View Post
    Has anyone else done this...and then filled up your filters?
    Yikes, sorry I can't help with the cleaning since I haven't done that yet. I would hate that!!

Too late for this time, but for future consideration: ClearVue sells a bin sensor that will cut off the system and give you an audible and visual alarm. http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/supp...in-sensor.html
    This uses optical sensors on either side of the short clear flex connector from the bottom of the cone to the lid of the bin. If chips make it to that the cyclone motor shuts off before anything can go to the filters.

I bought an earlier version of this and took it apart and rebuilt it to put the sensor circuit board, power supply, and wireless remote receiver all in one box. I mounted it at a central location in the shop since the cyclone is in a sound insulated closet in another room, maybe 15' separation. I added switches in series so I could disable the entire system from either location. Here during installation and testing.

DC_control_box.jpg DC_electrical_shop_s.jpg

I also physically check the bin periodically.

I wonder if you could substitute a second set of filters (or just temporarily exhaust outside) then connect the intake of the cyclone to the end of the first set, seal the end, and use both compressed air and vibration to clean. An SDS hammer drill in the chisel mode makes a fantastic vibration tool with a suitable interface.

JKJ

Yep, filling the filter is something you usually only do once, kind of like jamming a planer head with chips. After a trauma like that, you remember to tap the drum on a regular basis, or whatever your preferred method is. Planing can fill a 55 gallon drum in a surprisingly short time.

When I jammed my filter up, it was with planer shavings rather than dust, so they fortunately came out pretty easy. I do blow out the filter every time I empty the drum. I usually use compressed air and blow parallel to the pleats on the inside. It would seem that blowing the dust from the outside in would work better than parallel, but for whatever reason it doesn't. Sometimes "snapping" the pleats (running your hand in a circle inside the filter against the pleats) while blowing will help get the last bit of dust out, but you usually get most of it on yourself in the process.

You probably don't need to get every last bit of dust out of the filter. Getting most of it out should be enough to make the cyclone run adequately.

John, yes I have done the exact same thing. Kinda sad to see the cyclone plumb full of dust. I too cleaned the filters with compressed air. Do not worry if you are still getting a little dust. The filters actually need to "season" with some fine dust to reach optimum filtration of the fine material. I have since added a version of the DIY bin sensor that was described here on SMC. I also added a filter monitor differential pressure between the inside and the outside of the filters to monitor when to clean the filters during normal operation. I will clean them when they reach 3.5 to 4" inches water differential. Cleaning frequency is directly dependent upon the amount of use of the drum sander. I think if I didn't operate the sander, I could go for years between cleanings :-) But overall my filters were not damaged by the overflow.
    BTW if you ever have any questions about the filters, give the folks at Wynn filters a call. They are full of great information and are the folks that supplied the filters that came with my 1800.
    Cheers
    Sean

Blog Entries
    I've done it with my V-5000 & the results were impressive. I can't believe how much sawdust can pack into a filter. And because I'm a slow learner, I did it again a couple of months later. I think I've got it now.

I just takes a lot of time, gentle tapping, brushing & blowing with the compressed air. At the price of filters, one doesn't want to rush this.

Wow, thanks to all of you for your quick response! I do have a bin sensor, and it works great....when it works...HA!

Sean, Can you please send (either on post or PM) your pressure differential setup? I'd love to copy that and install it on my CV1800. I'll also call Wynn today...thanks for that tip as well.

Again, thanks guys for giving me such wonderful advice!

I did that...once. I have a plexiglass window in the lid of the drum now so I can manually monitor the level.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Great idea Terry! I did that on my little Oneida Dust Deputy and it works great. I think I've gotten my bin sensor working right now...I just need to take the filters outside and really give them a good cleaning. I was hoping for some new ideas in cleaning them...but my backpack blower and tapping and compressed air seem to be in line with what I've been doing.

Thanks for the reply and suggestion!

Bin sensor working

Quote Originally Posted by John F. Gates View Post
    I think I've gotten my bin sensor working right now...
    Just wondering, what was the problem with the sensor and how did you fix it? Assuming it's the McRabbet sensor ClearVue sells, is it something others of us need to be careful about?

JKJ

John, here is the Dwyer Magnehelic that I am using. The lower scale is inches of water. I found this on eBay and scored big-it was less than $30.00.
    Cheers
    Sean

39F9CDC9-7354-402D-ABE9-01D44F78BB86.jpg1794B900-BCE2-4CAB-885B-A229B9C548B7.jpg

There was no "problem" with the bin sensor itself. It was my challenging installation situation. When I hung the CV1800, there was only about 3" between the bin and the cyclone. So, there were a lot of "false alarms" that drove me crazy. IN that time, the bin was overfilled 2 times. So, it was totally me not the McRabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hatfield View Post
    I did that...once. I have a plexiglass window in the lid of the drum now so I can manually monitor the level.

Terry,

How are you sealing the lid to the drum?