Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resaw accessories

Resaw accessories

After years of using commercial veneer for my Marquetry, I have committed myself to using more and more shop-sawn 1/16” veneer. I decided to accessorize my Agazzani 20” so as to make resawing more efficient and enjoyable. Basically a power feeder set up with out the motor. Without significant modifications to the BS table, I cannot mount a power feeder.

1). New Woodmaster CT blade
    2). New Co-Matic roller fence
    3). New Northfield manual resaw attachment
    4). New Aigner Auxiliary outfeed table

The setup worked great. Very easy and accurate. I resawed to apx 1/8” then ran each through my Martin T45 with Xplane head using a 1/2 MDF sled. I actually am pretty amazed at the results. The planer gave perfect consistent results at 1/16”. I use metric settings on the planer and TS.

Sampling of veneers; Cedar, maple, poplar, Cocobolo, and Ebony

Certainly many ways of achieving the same results, but these upgrades significantly makes it easy.

185C7F40-A6F3-41CB-9481-5533CC109D0A.jpg74066D23-937B-49BE-9A47-7D2EC98FDD18.jpg83DD25D4-9E01-4882-BAFC-8305D98AF36F.jpg58FFB1AA-F5A6-488D-9CC7-6C46EBA7D0BD.jpg90A4AA43-C2C1-4085-BF48-F6379E6CDDE5.jpg

Nice. Very nice!!
    I think one aspect you haven't touched on is your ability to control the material selection.
    I like it.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Nice. Looks great.

Can you post a full picture of your sled? I need to make something for thinner and smaller material now that I’ve moved from the little dewalt planer to a Hammer A3-31. Curious to see how you put it together. Also since you labeled it, I’m guessing you have different sleds for different uses?

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Also curious about your sled, I take material to .110” using my planer without a sled. Thinking of making a sled for to bring it to .060”.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I like the dog. Very nice setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Parrish View Post
    Nice. Looks great.

Can you post a full picture of your sled? I need to make something for thinner and smaller material now that I’ve moved from the little dewalt planer to a Hammer A3-31. Curious to see how you put it together. Also since you labeled it, I’m guessing you have different sleds for different uses?

Thanks.
    This is the sled I used. It is a prototype of sorts. I used poplar strips on the front and sides so when the veneer gets close to its final thickness, the rubber infeed/outfeed rollers will have more to grab onto. I use two small pieces of dbl side tape on the front and back of the veneer. I only need the tape as the piece gets thin.
    Also, I found out that I can cut the veneer at the bandsaw without planing between cuts. IE, i can run the veneer sheets through the planer with both sides rough. The cut quality off the bandsaw is really good.

I have a 24” widebelt but my goal was to get great results off the planer which is more efficient.

58F3DCA4-20B8-4178-9145-17681E714051.jpg

Blog Entries
    Thank you, John!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

That sure is a top notch setup. You should be able to cut the veneer to 0.100" or even a little less, though, which will save you some wood and give you another slice or two on a thick board. The CT cuts very smoothly, or should, and I get 0.065" with no trouble out of 0.100" off the BS.

John

If I was going to all the cast iron and effort, I'd add a power feed instead.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    That sure is a top notch setup. You should be able to cut the veneer to 0.100" or even a little less, though, which will save you some wood and give you another slice or two on a thick board. The CT cuts very smoothly, or should, and I get 0.065" with no trouble out of 0.100" off the BS.

John
    Thanks John
    I am sure I could go thinner but 1/16” is the “sweet spot” thickness for Marquetry using shop-sawn veneer.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    If I was going to all the cast iron and effort, I'd add a power feed instead.
    I am getting results that are as good as a power feeder. Co-Matic recommends a table size of at least the size of a 24” BS for their “bandsaw” feeders. Their BS feeders are very heavy. Also, the cast tables on Agazzani bandsaws are quite thin.
    I thought about fabricating a larger sub-table to accommodate a feeder, but the cost, effort, and return on investment does not align for me. So far this rig is a pretty solid compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    I am getting results that are as good as a power feeder. Co-Matic recommends a table size of at least the size of a 24” BS for their “bandsaw” feeders. Their BS feeders are very heavy. Also, the cast tables on Agazzani bandsaws are quite thin.
    I thought about fabricating a larger sub-table to accommodate a feeder, but the cost, effort, and return on investment does not align for me. So far this rig is a pretty solid compromise.
    Excellent setup!

The table castings on the Agazzani are really their only true weak point, and then only if you want to use a feeder. You might keep an eye out for a Comatic AF17, they are light enough to work on that saw and do a really good job on a smaller saw, I haven't seen them imported in several years. I looked but did not find the pictures of Sam Blasco using a standard feeder and mounting it on an accessory table like your outfeed table, his was shop made (wood) and had extra supports. I have also used a standard feeder mounted to a shaper just moved in front of the saw. All thi is simply FYI since you are happy with what you have and it does indeed appear to be an excellent setup.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Pretty slick.

Can that Northfield unit benhad from them new still?

I was gonna suggest a wide belt. I can’t remeber what I take my material down to in my planer but I can get it down to .050 on the widebelt with no backer of any sort.

This thread is of great interest to me as I potentially “hopefully” have a entertainment center/tv lift cabinet to make out of Macassar ebony within the next month.

I have been thinking I’d just buy the veneers as it would save me time and time is money. I’m also told resawing Macassar is hell.

Anyway nice setup. And FYI that’s my god dam dream shop you have there

Lucky you though, I’m sure you voted your ass for every bit of it.

Thanks Van,
    I was actually was thinking what you might say about the set up. ��

Thanks Patrick,
    yes, you can purchase the attachment new from Northfield. Like everything from Northfield, it is built like a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    Thanks Van,
    I was actually was thinking what you might say about the set up. ��
    It is beefy and I love it! BTW did you get the fence from Shop Gear? How much was it?
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.