Thread: Repairing a 4 post bed

Repairing a 4 post bed

This is a small project, but I want to do it right the first time. I have a 4 post bed, one of the posts was knocked out of it's screw insert (the insert came out). The hole is too big and all I can think of is get a bigger insert (larger outside diameter,
    diameter, no luck so far) or somehow epoxy the insert in place. But i'm having trouble believing big box stores will have an epoxy hard enough. What would you do? Yes, previous owner tried gluing the post together... I was also thinking of mixing epoxy with hardwood sawdust...

IMG_0362.jpgIMG_0361.jpgIMG_0363.jpg

I think I'd drill a larger hole in the piece the pictured one mates with, and glue a dowel into that hole. After the glue has dried, drill a new hole for the insert and thread it back into that hole.

Is that glue residue on the bottom of the post, around the screw? If so, clean that up, as well as any residue on the mating piece so you have a clean surface to re-glue.

I agree with Gary, I would use a Forstner bit to drill a large diameter hole, as large as you can without it showing. I would drill the right depth for a 3/4" thick Baltic Birch plug. I would glue and put 3 screws in. You could even put one of the thread inserts that goes in from behind with barb fittings.

I'd drill out the hole and then used thickened epoxy to reinstall the insert.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    I'd drill out the hole and then used thickened epoxy to reinstall the insert.

This, but do a wet coat first so it soaks in to the wood. Let the wet coat soak in for a few minutes and then do the coat with the micro balloons. Take a file and cut a couple of slots in the threaded insert so it is less likely to turn back out. When you install the insert install it with a bolt in the insert so that the epoxy does not creep up into the threads. I usually put in a bolt with a nut to keep it bottomed out in the insert and smear a little silicone on the bottom, let cure and then install. I use epoxy with new inserts in softer wood so that the connection is tougher. Not my idea, West Systems.
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 12-11-2018 at 6:41 AM.

After repeatedly repairing those stupid inserts on a bed we owned using methods like those described above, I drilled a 1" hole 3" deep in each end of the post and inserted a 5-1/2" maple dowel. It never broke again, despite the kids' best efforts.

You kind of have two options.
    One is to drill it and install a new wooden plug. Then re-install the insert.
    the second is to drill it and fill with a structural epoxy. Not the type you mix and add sawdust too, it comes in a roll. You knead it together like bread dough the shove it in the hole. You can reinstall the threaded insert after, or during. Mohawk Finishes makes it and so does JB Weld. I've never used the JB weld. There are also winged inserts for this process to stop them from "tapping them selves in".

I personally would do the first, even though I have done the second many times.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    After repeatedly repairing those stupid inserts on a bed we owned using methods like those described above, I drilled a 1" hole 3" deep in each end of the post and inserted a 5-1/2" maple dowel. It never broke again, despite the kids' best efforts.
    Having worked delivering (and repairing) bedroom furniture for 2 1/2 years, this would be my preferred method. Sometimes the old ways are still best.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Some say drill as big as a hole as you can... I say no way... Drill to fit your dowel pin but keep away from the sidewall. The closer you get to the wall the easier it will break again.

Thanks for all of the ideas!